[News] The Release Advantage of GNU/Linux Distributions

The Art of Release

,----[ Quote ]
| This represents one of the most extraordinary, and to me somewhat unexpected,
| benefits of free software to those who deploy it. Most people would assume
| that precise release management would depend on having total control of all
| the moving parts - and hence only be possible in a proprietary setting.
| Microsoft writes (almost) every line of code in Windows, so you would think
| they would be able to set, and hit, a precise target date for delivery. But
| in fact the reverse is true - free software distributions or OSV’s can
| provide much better assurances with regard to delivery dates than proprietary
| OSV’s, because we can focus on the critical role of component selection,
| integration, testing, patch management and distribution rather than the
| pieces which upstream projects are better able to handle - core component
| feature development. This is in my mind a very compelling reason for
| distributions to focus on distribution - that’s the one thing they do which
| the upstreams don’t, so they need to invest heavily in that in order to serve
| as the most efficient conduit of upstream’s work.
`----

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/146

Related:

Monolithic OS upgrades are so over

,----[ Quote ]
| But if I can find all the drivers I need for Ubuntu then I may well make a
| permanent switch asall other issues aside I do find the regular, bite-sized
| upgrades of Linux so much more palatable. And I suspect that increasingly
| businesses will warm to this taste too.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006022o-2000331758b,00.htm

How worried should Microsoft be about open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Many governments are actively pushing people toward Linux, for political
| reasons. It?s not just code ownership. Ubuntu actually leads Microsoft in
| localization, having built teams in many languages ? India alone has hundreds
| of languages. Not all are official, on either a federal or state level. Open
| source lets local people deliver support for these languages.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1466

Microsoft Reveals Windows Vista SP1 Will Install XP

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2007/09/microsoft-reveals-windows-vista-sp1-will-install-xp.html

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9579