[News] [Rival] Windows XP & Vista Maintainability in Doubt

Microsoft and XP SP3 – why oh why are there problems?

,----[ Quote ]
| The reports that Service Pack 3 for Windows XP is causing problems for users
| are flooding in. Has Microsoft lost control of the software writing process
| and compatibility with the widest range of hardware?
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18175/1105/

As stressed before, the good engineers and managers have left and the codebase
made worse over time (links below). All Microsoft can do now is dump,
sabotage, intimidate rivals, make vapourware announcements and build new
lock-ins like OOXML (then break the law and be fined for abuses).

XP SP3 Bug Makes Some AMD PCs Crash: Is Your PC at Risk?

,----[ Quote ]
| While it's not uncommon for patch downloads to be patchy themselves, this
| might be more than the average owner of a HP system powered by an AMD chip
| wants to handle. Currently XP SP3 is being pushed out to users via automatic
| update.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006932.html

Windows XP SP3 blame game begins

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has so far failed to provide any plausible solution to Windows XP
| customers who have seen their PCs crippled by the install of service pack
| three (SP3).
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/12/windows_xp_sp3_reboots_amd/

Related:

Veteran Windows architect resigns from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| On the heels of a week of news of a number of Microsoft executive departures
| and reshufflings, another has come to light. Rob Short, Corporate Vice
| President for Windows Core, has resigned from the company.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1110

Vista marketing chief to bid Microsoft adieu

,----[ Quote ]
| Michael Sievert, Corporate Vice President for Windows Product Marketing, is
| moving on, according to multiple sources of mine.
|
| It’s hard to make the case that Sievert, who was responsible for the
| worldwide introduction of Windows Vista, isn’t being pushed for the
| less-than-enthusiastic public perception of Microsoft’s latest version of
| Windows. Even though Microsoft has moved 100-million-plus copies of Vista,
| many consumers and businesses still consider the new release buggy, sluggish
| and incompatible with existing software and drivers.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1158

Windows exec Poole leaving Microsoft (Update)

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft senior vice president Will Poole, a longtime Windows executive, is
| retiring from the company, according to a report by ZDNet blogger Mary Jo
| Foley this afternoon. No confirmation from Microsoft yet.
|
| Poole would be the latest executive to leave the company since Windows
| Vista's launch. Others include Rob Short and Michael Sievert.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/136482.asp?source=rss

Microsoft's Vista Blogger Quits As Redmond Exodus Builds

,----[ Quote ]
| White did not provide a reason for his decision. To be sure, his position
| could not have been an easy one. White's posts often elicited hundreds of
| glitches and quirks.
|
| His departure also raises questions about Microsoft's ability to retain
| talent in the Web 2.0 world.
|
| [...]
|
| Earlier this year, Microsoft Business Division president Jeff Raikes said he
| would retire in September, to be replaced by former Juniper Networks chief
| operating officer Stephen Elop.
|
| Microsoft's merger and acquisitions chief Bruce Jaffe stepped down at the end
| of February.
|
| To boot, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates will give up full-time duties at the
| company in July.
|
| The departures highlight one of Microsoft's biggest challenges as a mature
| company: attracting and retaining Silicon Valley's top talent. In its early
| days, Microsoft could entice recruits with an entrepreneurial environment and
| stock options that eventually turned secretaries into millionaires.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207001276&subSection=All+Stories

MS Insider: The Office Crew Isn't Smart Enough to Supplant Real Windows
Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| "With Alchin retiring, MarkL and MarkZ, two of the most talented
| architects in MS already having left, the picture gets really
| ugly for the Windows division," my friend claimed, and the BV's
| core team members, Ian McDonald, Jack Mayo, Todd Wanke, Clyde
| Rodriguez and others are starting to connect the dots.
|
| [...]
|
| He concluded ominously. "A trainwreck of biblical proportions looms.
| Pick a good seat on the sidelines, trainwrecks this large take
| awhile to complete. Vista may be the last MS OS for some time to
| come, especially if Cutler decides to play hardball."
`----

http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/09/11/ms-insider-the-office-crew-isnt-smart-enough-to-supplant-real-windows-developers/
http://tinyurl.com/35eqrt

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
|
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

More than half of Microsoft Vista needs re-writing

,----[ Quote ]