[News] More Microsoft Abuses, European Commission Receives Complaint Referral

Becta refers its interoperability complaint to the European Commission

,----[ Quote ]
| Becta welcomes the European Commission's antitrust investigation of Microsoft
| concerning interoperability and confirms it has recently referred its
| interoperability complaint and supporting evidence to the Commission.
`----

http://news.becta.org.uk/display.cfm?resID=36594&page=1657&catID=1632

There has been a flood of complaints about Microsoft's behaviour recently. With
sinking profits the company is turning into more of a bully.

Last week:

Accused software pirate denounces Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| A software dealer who Microsoft charged with engaging in the sale of pirated
| software is vowing to fight back. Next week he plans to file a complaint with
| the European Commission alleging abuse of power and anti-trust violations.
`----

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=C7A7B9DA-17A4-0F78-319394D5362B416E

Recent:

2007: Microsoft in Review

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s no small secret.  I hate Microsoft.  I think they are the most vile and
| corrupt corporation in the tech industry.  Their monopoly hampers innovation
| and they favor litigation, corruption and marketing tricks to maintain their
| position over simply creating great products.  I have read and heard many
| people claim Microsoft is changing, improving, and the evil Microsoft of the
| pass is fading; I strongly disagree with this view, and it takes no more then
| a cursory look through Microsoft’s actions in 2007 to see why:
|
| Attacking Non-Profits Seeking to Help Children in Poor Countries
|
| Professor Negroponte wants to make the world a better place.  His vision?  An
| affordable laptop in the hands of every child. He founded a non-profit group
| and created the XO, an amazing machine targeted specifically at children
| living in poor countries, with features such as mesh networking to easily
| connect and share info, a screen viewable outdoors, tiny power consumption
| and a battery rechargeable through a solar panel.
|
| Microsoft earlier labeled this a toy and attempted to mock it, but in 2007 as
| the XO began to become a reality the real attack began.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft Threatens Linux with Patent Claims
|
| Microsoft loves to sling mud on others and then refuse to say where the mud
| came from.  In 2007, Microsoft claimed Linux violates 235 of its patents.
| They, of course, refused to provide any specificity to the claim, for if it
| is true Microsoft is not interested in allowing Linux to work around the
| patents.
|
| [...]
|
| ISO AND MSOOXML
|
| Perhaps the worst story about Microsoft in 2007 is its unrelenting assault on
| ISO, the International Standards Organization.
|
| [...]
|
|  Here is a quick list of some of the “Irregularities” uncovered so far:
|
|     Brazil, Colombia, Denmark, Egypt, Italy, Kenya, Mexico, Nigeria, Norway,
|     Switzerland, USA: Committee Stuffing
|
|     Finland: chairman fired
|
|     Hungary: rule bending (deadlines and majority rules bent to favor MS)
|
|     India: astroturfing
|
|     Malaysia: voted no, but overridden by government anyways and changed to
|     yes
|
|     Netherlands: voted no, but was overridden by Microsoft
|
|     Pakistan, Sweden: members bought
|
|     Poland: voted no, taken and given to another committee who rubber stamped
|     it
|
|     Germany, Russia: irregularity
|
|     Spain: Microsoft spreads misinformation
|
|     Ukraine, Venezuela: discrimination
`----

http://nazgum.wordpress.com/2008/03/30/2007-microsoft-in-review/

EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

,----[ Quote ]
| I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
| happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
| Quinn was by no means unique.

Gates Deposition Audio and Video

,----[ Quote ]
| Here is our local copy of the depositions of Bill Gates in the
| Microsoft anti-trust suit. We did our best to convert the
| original Windows Media files into an Open format, ogg. Your
| webmaster is responsible for the video transcoding, the
| audio-only files are contributed by a Groklaw member that
| requested to stay anonymous.
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=GatesDepo

EU May Fine Microsoft Over Antitrust Case, People Say

,----[ Quote ]
| The fine may be announced as soon as Feb. 27, said the people, who declined
| to be identified because the decision isn't public. Microsoft said in a Jan.
| 24 U.S. regulatory filing that the penalty may be as much as 1.5 billion
| euros ($2.2 billion).
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=MSFT:US&sid=aG8SwG8llTmM

Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/01/microsoft_intel_vista_capable_emails/

Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/microsoft-vista-intel-tech-ebiz-cx_wt_0228vista.html?partner=yahootix

US ambassador to the EU was former Microsoft lobbyist

,----[ Quote ]
| Before C. Boyden Gray was named as George Bush's number one person in
| Europe, he was a lawyer lobbying on behalf of Microsoft.

Opera files EU antitrust suit against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/legislation/news/index.cfm?newsid=6663