[News] Java's Big Lead an Advantage to JavaFX Against Some Blobs

Sun: Java ubiquity an advantage in RIA battle

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems is counting on the ubiquitous nature of Java to help its
| JavaFX technology compete in the rich Internet application (RIA) space
| against rivals Adobe Systems and Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| "The Java runtime is on over 900 million desktops today," Singh said. Every
| month, there are 40 million downloads of updates to the Java runtime, he
| said. Additionally, there are more than 2.2 mobile phones with Java on them,
| not to mention Java's presence in 100 percent of Blu-ray devices, said Singh.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1150490844&rid=-50

Sun Shows How JavaFX Creates Rich Internet Applications at JavaOne

,----[ Quote ]
| Rich Green, executive vice president of Software at Sun, outlined in his
| keynote presentation at JavaOne in San Francisco a roadmap for the JavaFX
| family of products that includes a high performance declarative scripting
| language, JavaFX Script - created for Web scripters, designers and developers
| to quickly build and deliver the next generation of RIAs for desktop, mobile,
| TV and other consumer devices.
`----

http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/561677_p.htm

If it's open like Java, then it's even better than Curl.

UP students get award from father of Java

,----[ Quote ]
| "It is really a great honor that Mr. James Gosling handpicked us as one of
| the winners of the Duke's Choice Awards and also, the fact that we are the
| first Filipinos to have won this award really made it a special feeling. Of
| course, we are happy and surprised because we didn't expect it and when we
| were doing this project, it is never our intention to join this contest,"
| said Jaymee Gatapia, a fourth-year computer science student and member of the
| UP Judo varsity team, in an e-mail interview.
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view/20080512-136106/UP-students-get-award-from-father-of-Java
http://tinyurl.com/5bbxb2

Recent:

Sun Set to Win Developer Battle

,----[ Quote ]
| Already in many studies on developer platform choice, the battle typically is
| drawn between the Microsoft .Net camp and the Java camp. But with the
| emergence of a new set of qualifications around developer/designer workflow
| and the advent of RIAs (rich Internet applications), the battleground is
| becoming more cluttered with new entrants and different models. Sun hopes to
| be in that fray.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application-Development/Sun-Set-to-Win-Developer-Battle/

JAVAONE - Sun defends JavaFX Script

,----[ Quote ]
| This question was raised during the JavaOne conference in San Francisco this
| week, with an attendee wondering why Sun needed to have its own scripting
| variant. JavaFX Script is part of Sun's JavaFX rich Internet application
| platform, first announced a year ago but being filled out with product
| deliverables this year.
|
| With JavaFX Script, Sun is offering up a scripting language very similar to
| what already was available, argued developer Angsuman Chakraborty, CEO of
| Taragana. It is hard for developers to learn another language, Chakraborty
| said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=703687504&rid=-50

Sun unveils RIA toolset, new project for developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Green also demonstrated a JavaFX application running on the Android Emulator,
| a Linux-based software platform for mobile devices developed by Google Inc.
| and the Open Handset Alliance. However, a public relations representative
| notified Computerworld during the live webcast of the keynote noting that the
| demo was "not a product announcement. Sun has no plans around Android at this
| time."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=724378496&rid=-50

JavaFX: A Bright Future on Open Source-Based Mobile Devices?

,----[ Quote ]
| I've written before about how Linux may arrive on 20 percent of cell phones
| by 2010--a prediction originally made by ABI Research.
`----

http://ostatic.com/161322-blog/javafx-a-bright-future-on-open-source-based-mobile-devicesss

Sun's JavaFX to hoover-up user data

,----[ Quote ]