[News] [Rival] Microsoft Clouds and Datacentres a Wishful Mess

Microsoft’s Hailstorm reappearing in the cloud?

,----[ Quote ]
| Joel calls the creators of these efforts “architecture astronauts.” They
| generate plenty of hype, not only on Microsoft’s part, but across the
| industry in general around this next permutation of Cloud Computing.
|
| But it’s not the hype that has Joel really ticked off — it’s the fact that a
| whole generation of valuable and highly paid software architects and
| programmers are being sucked up into this vortex, “working on hopeless and
| useless architecture astronomy.”
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/service-oriented/?p=1103

Why Microsoft's approach to data centers won't work

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is that each UPS, in the process of "conditioning" the power,
| also creates "harmonics" that bounce back up the supply line and can "crap up
| power for everyone else," Baker said.
|
| Harmonics is a well-known issue that's been managed in other contexts, so
| Baker isn't saying the problem is unsolvable. But, he argues, the extra
| infrastructure needed to alleviate the harmonics generated by 220 UPSs -- the
| number of containers Microsoft thinks it can fit inside the Chicago data
| center -- could easily negate the potential ROI from using containers.
`----

http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php/id;1365080214;pp;6;fp;4;fpid;337468494

Recent:

Down To Business: As IBM Reaches For Cloud, Where Next Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's alignment with Google around Linux and Internet standards should have
| its longtime rival sweating sans Yahoo.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/services/data/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207601200

SaaS, Open Source and the Migration of Burden

,----[ Quote ]
| Just the week before I had a reporter ask me how Linux is going to deal with
| the threat of cloud computing. The threat? I told her that virtually all of
| the major cloud computing initiatives (except Microsoft’s) are built on
| Linux. (There is a potential displacement there for Linux distribution
| vendors but that’s another topic.) Linux as a platform is the enabling
| backbone of software as a service and cloud computing.
`----

http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/amanda/2008/05/08/saas-open-source-and-the-migration-of-burden/

Lost in the Clouds

,----[ Quote ]
| Just as the open source LAMP stack created the current wave of Web 2.0
| companies, so free software will run the magic machinery keeping clouds
| aloft.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/04/lost-in-clouds.html

Hip-hip-Hadoop!

,----[ Quote ]
| Just one more reason why the Microsoft-Yahoo merger, if it happens, will be
| hell:
|
| [...]
|
| Go[t] that? 10,000 core processors running GNU/Linux at the heart of Yahoo.
| Microsoft is damned if they do (rip and replace) and damned if they don't. Go
| on, make our day, Steve....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/hip-hip-hadoop.html

Related:

Top secret: Microsoft's $6 billion open source play

,----[ Quote ]
| This month's announcement by Microsoft to acquire digital marketing
| services firm aQuantive has revealed little on how the companies
| will integrate their IT, but inside information indicates the deal
| may be Redmond's largest commitment to free software.
|
| [...]
|
| Whether the businesses are complementary or not, Microsoft's integration
| work will no doubt involve a lot of open source software used by aQuantive.
|
| Information available from Atlas' Web site indicates the Internet software
| company employs extensive use of open source software including Linux,
| Apache, MySQL, and Solaris.
|
| Software engineers at Atlas' Raleigh office do client/server development in
| C and C++, software maintenance and "scripting", and developing and
| maintaining custom reporting capabilities.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1616039231;fp;2;fpid;1

Thoughts on JavaOne 2008 (mostly good, but lots of confusing messages from Sun)

,----[ Quote ]
| Java is still the language of choice in the enterprise. Even with the rise of
| LAMP Java remains important and makes up huge swaths of the IT landscape in
| major enterprises--at least those who are not .NET. Even open source Java
| applications on Windows are popular.
|
| [...]
|
| There are also a number of Sun software products that ARE BUILT ON OPEN
| SOURCE, but NOT OPEN SOURCE. One example of this is JCAPs, which is the sad
| remnant of the $387m SeeBeyond acquisition. Sun ported the JCAPs connectors
| to Open ESB, built the whole thing into NetBeans and closed sourced the
| product. This is not just weird, its also stupid and disingenuous.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13846_1-9939429-62.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NegativeApproach

Do we need to protect open source from the cloud?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some view this as a simple loophole to be plugged. The GPL was originally
| written very much within the context of Unix programmatic and operating
| system interfaces. Therefore, the reasoning goes, the only reason the GPL
| didn't encompass access via Web services is that there were no Web
| services--at least in anything like their current form--when the GPL was
| created. That the new GPLv3 specifically doesn't address this "loophole"
| either was more a matter of practicality than principle by this view.
|
| And, in fact, one approach to eliminating this loophole is a straightforward
| enough approach. The Affero GPL is a straightforward extension to the GPLv3
| license that essentially expands the definition of distribution to encompass
| the delivery of services over the network.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9939131-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

It's unofficial: Microsoft bets business on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| What the press statement didn't mention is that Aruba mobility
| controllers run the Linux operating system which Microsoft has
| aggressively targeted as being inferior to Windows as part of
| its "Get the Facts" marketing campaign.
|
| [...]
|
| Pandey's appraisal of Aruba's technology is in stark contrast to
| Microsoft's "Get the Facts" rhetoric which places Windows as a more secure,
| and higher-performing choice over Linux.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;754084996;fp;2;fpid;1

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]