Re: [News] [Rival] Zune Channel-Stuffing and the Miserable Failure it Was

> * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

>> Microsoft's abysmal failures, in every endeavour other than Windows
>> and Office, proves that their time is up. This latest blow is just
>> one of many signalling the end, as if their recent 30 Billion USD
>> loss wasn't a clear enough signal. Good riddance.
>
> Unfortunately, Homer, I fear the government would step in to help
> them would it come to that.  Some government already have helped
> them. Witness the Bush administration's hands-off treatment, and the
> way some governments subverted their own standards bodies to ensure
> they didn't have to pay to have someone besides Microsoft handling
> documents.
>
> It will be similar if the current dominant business desktop
> infrastructure ever becomes threatened.

I don't doubt that Pearly's equally corrupt pal Dubya would indeed
/want/ to help an ailing Microsoft, however one has to question the
prudence of asking for help (financial or otherwise) from an
administration that pissed away two *Trillion* USD trying to annex a
middle-east oil state, and sent America spiralling into its worst debt
ever in the process.

Then again, Dubya's tenure won't last forever. I wonder if Obama or
Hillary would be so accommodating.

Now is certainly not a great time to be Microsoft. There is a confluence
of events that is even more confluey than usual, and they all seem to be
lining up against the Vole, ready to pull the trigger.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|     ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian.  http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8

 17:12:30 up 142 days, 13:48,  6 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.22, 0.29