Re: [News] Downloads Up 28,500% Months After Going Open Source

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Open source is more than free: The Untangle experience
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Untangle, however, has done it right, and the downloads have followed.
> | From 145 in June of 2007 to 41,419 in April of 2008, interest in
> | Untangle has rocketed with its adoption of open-source licensing.
> `----
>
> http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9940470-16.html
>
> MySQL has had over 100,000,000 downloads. It's a case of evolve or die.
>

> Related:
>
> MySQL CEO: it's tough for private open source firms
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "As soon as the deal closed we immediately secured a big deal with a
> | major European national police agency," said Mickos, now SVP database
> | products at Sun. "Key to them choosing MySQL was that we are now part of
> | a much larger public corporation. The deal wouldn't have happened when
> | we were private."

Thats just pure rubbish. EU tendering rules don't stipulate that you
have to be part larger public corporation to win contracts.
And even if you had to have the size, plenty of companies partner
together under a lead company to submit proposals
instead of getting bought out like MySQL$.

Is MySQL$ going the way of Novel$ shovelling cretinous marketing talk
instead of go get some work done?!

Novel$ was all 'our customer said this' 'our customer said that'
and 'we did like this' and 'we did like that' to cover up
the failures of taking money from micoshaft and loosing
all the GPL developers who disagreed. In the mean time RHAT
climbs higher, and Ubuntu does very well without micoshaft.

Same thing happening with MySQL$ me thinks. They have taken money and
idiotic management have shifted everything to money related talk and at the
rate they are going, they are gonna loose all their free GPL developers
while PostGreSQL and others climb higher. They should shut up about their
good/bad fortunes and talk mostly about commercial support winning features
for customers that adopt their software and also about what things they are
giving back to the open source community; and preferably stop screwing the
open source ideals by pillaging here and there on what appears to be the
icing on the cake by dividing things up and saying this is free, thats not.
Sheesh!
If you have used an aweful lot of GPL, then you should be grateful
and it should all be free - just the support itself should not have
to be free because that has nothing to do with free software or the GPL.

> | [...]
> |
> | Downloads of the firm's free, open source database have accelerated too,
> | from around 50,000 a day before the deal was announced to around 60,000
> | per day now - 67,000 copies were downloaded on Monday.
> `----
>
> http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2008/03
mysql_ceo_its_t.html