[News] [Rival] Microsoft XBox 360 Implosion

Is Microsoft Killing the Xbox 360 Market lead?

,----[ Quote ]
| Jeremy: Maybe the Microsoft empire is just too big and too diverse. Microsoft
| has expanded into so many areas outside their core operating system and
| desktop applications. They have the online division (Live), the ERP
| applications, business intelligence software, video conferencing hardware,
| telephony, mobile software, the Zune, TV, fingerprint readers, educational
| software, map software, and so on. They can’t be winners in every segment.
| Some things have to slip and maybe that’s happening to the games side?
`----

http://blogs.news.com.au/horeyandson/index.php/news/comments/is_microsoft_killing_the_xbox_360_market_lead

Microsoft’s Xbox Live Anywhere on Vista more of a vaporware than PS3 home

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember that cool concept Bill Gates himself made a big deal two years ago
| during Vista’s big push, called Xbox Live Anywhere? Most people assumed
| Anywhere-became-vaporware, with very little news or update released at all
| for sometime now.
|
| [...]
|
| It was a silly ploy on Microsoft’s behalf to try to shove Vista down
| consumer’s throats by having a “Only for Vista” requirement ignoring their
| more successful XP platform. Suffice to say sales for both titles tanked,
| especially Shadowrun which was the flag ship title to boast anything close to
| what Anywhere could eventually offer.
`----

http://vista.blorge.com/2008/05/27/microsofts-xbox-live-anywhere-on-vista-more-of-a-vaporware-than-ps3-home/

Have Microsoft lost the plot with XBLA?

,----[ Quote ]
| The real issue here is probably the Xbox Live Dashboard which, quite frankly,
| finds itself doing a job it is not up to. Handling just 130 titles should be
| simple, the Amazon user interface handles millions of items with ease. But
| the Microsoft Xbox Live offering is pathetic and is struggling.
`----

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewarticle+articleid_1941690~zoneid_Home.html

XBL Arcade Developer Defends Microsoft’s New Delisting Policies

,----[ Quote ]
| Many gamers have vocalized their disapproval of Microsoft’s new delisting
| policies for Xbox Live Arcade. You might expect developers to feel the same
| way, especially if they’re affected.
`----

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/05/28/xbl-arcade-developer-defends-delisting/

Another money sewer for the company that's unable to evolve.

Earlier today:

Vroom! Wii passes Xbox 360 in US

,----[ Quote ]
| It has finally happened; the Nintendo Wii has overtaken the Microsoft Xbox
| 360 install base over in the America’s.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18490/1063/w

Last week:

Microsoft shelves spring update for Xbox 360

,----[ Quote ]
| Prepare for a summer without new Xbox features gaming fans, Microsoft just
| confirmed there’ll be no traditional spring update for the console’s system
| software.
`----

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2008/05/23/microsoft-shelves-spring-update-for-xbox-360/

Microsoft Axing Underperforming XBLA Titles

,----[ Quote ]
| In an effort to focus on more successful titles, Microsoft will begin
| removing poorly-performing games from the Xbox  Live Arcade lineup.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/05/underperforming.html

Recent:

The Xbox 360 is dead

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a report, if some Australian retailers had their way, the Xbox
| 360 would be dumped from their shelves.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17494/1093/

Xbox 360 On The Skids Retailers Consider Dumping It

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Industry/X7T4A4P6

MS showcases Red Ring of Death Xbox 360 at expo

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft executives will be a little red-faced today after an Xbox 360 on
| display at this year’s Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco
| contracted the infamous ‘Red Ring of Death’ disease.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/02/19/red_ring_of_death_xbox_game_developers_conference/

X-Box flops, Microsoft winds up ops in several cities

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems to be troubled days for Microsoft's X-Box as it seems the company is
| now winding up operations in several cities.
|
| [...]
|
| According to sources, the company has withdrawn from several Tier-I cities
| due to lackluster sales. Microsoft Entertainment & Devices Division has also
| withdrawn the marketing budget for the current fiscal.
`----

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/business/x-box-flops-microsoft-windsopsseveral-cities/21/01/338381

Related:

Raikes and Other Exits

,----[ Quote ]
| It's weird that Mini and all the commenters here have failed to notice the
| mass exodus from the Xbox team in 2007. By my count, more than 15% of the
| product team (dev/PM/test) have left Microsoft for Apple, Sony, Google,
| Yahoo, MySpace, Amazon, and various other companies (including several
| startups, local and in the Valley).
`----

http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2008/01/raikes-and-other-exits.html

Peter Moore's parting pledge for Microsoft games an empty promise?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13598&Itemid=1023