[News] [Rival] Microsoft Defeated Again on Its Home Ground (Wii)

Vroom! Wii passes Xbox 360 in US

,----[ Quote ]
| It has finally happened; the Nintendo Wii has overtaken the Microsoft Xbox
| 360 install base over in the America’s.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18490/1063/w

The beginning of the end.

Ballmer said some interesting things last week.

'Ballmer also noted the Xbox had been "a funny product for us" and that the
company had struggled for a while trying to figure out how to make money out
of it.'

Last week:

Microsoft shelves spring update for Xbox 360

,----[ Quote ]
| Prepare for a summer without new Xbox features gaming fans, Microsoft just
| confirmed there’ll be no traditional spring update for the console’s system
| software.
`----

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2008/05/23/microsoft-shelves-spring-update-for-xbox-360/

Microsoft Axing Underperforming XBLA Titles

,----[ Quote ]
| In an effort to focus on more successful titles, Microsoft will begin
| removing poorly-performing games from the Xbox  Live Arcade lineup.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/05/underperforming.html

Recent:

The Xbox 360 is dead

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a report, if some Australian retailers had their way, the Xbox
| 360 would be dumped from their shelves.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17494/1093/

Xbox 360 On The Skids Retailers Consider Dumping It

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Industry/X7T4A4P6

MS showcases Red Ring of Death Xbox 360 at expo

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft executives will be a little red-faced today after an Xbox 360 on
| display at this year’s Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco
| contracted the infamous ‘Red Ring of Death’ disease.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/02/19/red_ring_of_death_xbox_game_developers_conference/

X-Box flops, Microsoft winds up ops in several cities

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems to be troubled days for Microsoft's X-Box as it seems the company is
| now winding up operations in several cities.
|
| [...]
|
| According to sources, the company has withdrawn from several Tier-I cities
| due to lackluster sales. Microsoft Entertainment & Devices Division has also
| withdrawn the marketing budget for the current fiscal.
`----

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/business/x-box-flops-microsoft-windsopsseveral-cities/21/01/338381

Related:

Raikes and Other Exits

,----[ Quote ]
| It's weird that Mini and all the commenters here have failed to notice the
| mass exodus from the Xbox team in 2007. By my count, more than 15% of the
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| product team (dev/PM/test) have left Microsoft for Apple, Sony, Google,
| Yahoo, MySpace, Amazon, and various other companies (including several
| startups, local and in the Valley).
`----

http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2008/01/raikes-and-other-exits.html

Even the head of the operations left...

Peter Moore's parting pledge for Microsoft games an empty promise?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13598&Itemid=1023