[News] University Students Develop Free Software, Universities Choose FOSS

Open-source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Three student-developed projects were presented at the Online News
| Association conference last year. This summer, the innovative digital news
| projects are being tested at newspapers. We were instructed to use
| open-source software for our projects.
|
| Open-source is free. In the open-source community, there are comparable
| programs for every retail package produced by the big companies. Open-source
| software can be well- documented and is often supported by a large community
| of programmers.
|
| For example, Gimp, an open-source tool that does most of what Adobe Photoshop
| does, can be downloaded for free at www.gimp.org. Adobe Photoshop CS3 is a
| minimum of $369.00. The developers who maintain Gimp provide downloadable
| manuals and plug-ins and tutorials as well. They even have a user forum. Gimp
| is stable and well- respected in the design community. Amazon.com lists at
| least five recent how-to books on Gimp.
|
| Another open-source example is OpenOffice (available at www.openoffice.org).
| Students who may end up writing for a living can download this very robust
| office suite for free and for just about any computer platform including
| Windows and OSX. The program includes a word processor, a presentation
| program, a spreadsheet program and a basic drawing program. Sound familiar?
`----

http://www.pbs.org/idealab/2008/05/opensource-software.html

Top Universities Rely on GroundWork Open Source for IT Management and
Monitoring

,----[ Quote ]
| Universities Like University of New Mexico, University of Utah, Cleveland
| State University and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte Deploy
| GroundWork
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080528/20080528005355.html?.v=1

Recent:

MIT students demonstrate their Android applications

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/05/09/mit-students-demonstrate-their-android-applications/