[News] Microsoft Faking and Subverting "Open Source" Yet Again

Microsoft’s deceptive advertising, again.

,----[ Quote ]
| Does Microsoft think we the Linux and Open Source user base are just a bunch
| of morons? In the latest advertising campaign of the closed sourced software
| giant that’s exactly what they are hoping for. Go ahead and check out for
| yourself. At http://www.microsoft.com/opensource they try to make it look
| like they are all for Open source software. They even have what they call the
| Hero Pack, fill out a form and they will send you a pack of “open source”
| tools that will help you become an “Open Source Hero”. What a giant load of
| crap how does “evaluation copies” of server 2008 and Visual Studio rank as
| open source software. They are so cheap it’s not even full versions (like I’d
| use it if it was).
`----

http://dthomasdigital.wordpress.com/2008/05/28/microsofts-deceptive-advertising-again/

Bunch of unethical scum. They also try to just hijack SourceForge with
sponsorship that points in this direction and FUD-inspiring awards. It's all
about *Windows-based* so-called 'open source'. Still lying:

Fear and loathing

,----[ Quote ]
| Historically, Microsoft has eschewed interoperability — developers of rival
| office suites, such as OpenOffice.org, have had to decipher Microsoft’s
| proprietary file formats to support them in their own products.
|
| In recent years, though, Microsoft has come under growing pressure, from
| regulators and customers (especially governments), to be less hostile to open
| standards. The jury is still out about whether it is prepared to embrace open
| standards fully, or whether it will merely pay lip service to the idea, while
| working behind the scenes to poison and subvert those standards.
`----

http://www.fmtech.co.za/?p=10006

Yesterday:

Keep Your Eyes Open