[News] GNU/Linux's Advantage in Thin Client Computing

The Skinny on Linux for Thin Client Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| "Linux makes sense in thin-client computing for a number of reasons. First,
| when you're cutting costs on the hardware and resources required for thin
| clients, you probably don't want to see savings eaten up by licensing costs
| for the [operating system]. Linux is free and now supports almost all of the
| user applications required in typical settings," said Jay Lyman, an analyst
| with The 451 Group.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/The-Skinny-on-Linux-for-Thin-Client-Computing-63167.html

And now we also have Vista to thank.

Recent:

LTSP 5 - Making Thin Clients Phat

,----[ Quote ]
| Getting started with thin clients is quite simple. LTSP version 5 is already
| integrated into Fedora9, AltLinux, openSUSE-Edu, Debian, Ubuntu, and *almost*
| into Gentoo. If you are using a different distro, just drop on over to
| www.ltsp.org and pick up a copy to install yourself.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/ltsp-5-making-thin-clients-phat

Little thin client runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The Italian firm CompuMaster has introduced a compact thin client that runs
| Linux. The "Praim Ino" can be mounted on the back of a monitor, draws just
| six Watts, and comes with a variety of client software, the company says.

Mini mountable thin client runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| BosaNova has added a low-power, compact, mountable model to its
| line of x86-architecture thin clients. Based on an AMD LX800
| processor, and with optional WiFi, the one-pound design is
| available with Linux as the RBT-802, or as the RBT-820 with Windows CE.

Is Linux Worth the Effort?

,----[ Quote ]
| I've spent the better part of the past 2 weeks banging away on 2 LTSP servers
| for our school district. I find myself lamenting to those around me, and
| being an otherwise cranky guy as well. This morning it dawned on me that
| people probably think I'm having such a hard time because I'm using Linux
| instead of the "norm" -- but that's just not the case.
|
| Tomorrow morning, about 1200 people are going to log into thin clients strewn
| around the school district here in northern Michigan. I am using K12LTSP as
| my distribution, because the support is incredible, and it's designed for
| schools. The problem for me, however, is that Linux is so darn powerful, my
| users are overwhelmed by it.
|
| [...]
|
| Is it all worth it? Oh, heck yeah. Instead of managing 250 workstations, I'll
| be managing 2. I like that kind of math. There are still a couple hundred
| Macintosh computers, and handfuls of Windows PCs -- but I'd like not to think
| about those for a bit, and bask in my thin client glory.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005992

New thin client series runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Acropolis updated its Linux-based thin-client OS earlier this month.
| Its NLX (New LinuX) 5 OS is based on Debian, and is available on an
| IDE flash plug-in module suitable for turning old PCs into modern
| thin clients.

World's lowest cost Linux thin client?

,----[ Quote ]
| Bangkok-based Norhtec has unveiled a sub-$85 mini-PC claimed to be the most
| affordable Linux thin client system to date. The "ultra-low-power"
| MicroClient JrSX is based on a 300MHz x86-compatible SoC (system-on-chip) and
| includes both CompactFlash and 2.5-inch hard drive storage options, along
| with 10/100Mbps Ethernet networking.

GNU/Linux thin-clients

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been looking for a good GNU/Linux thin-client for my employer,
| a school district in the US. We have scores of aging desktops
| (primarily Intel PII 350 MHz and PIII 800 MHz systems) and looking
| more into the mobile arena for most computing needs.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/gnu_linux_thin-clients

Vista Aiding Linux Desktop, Strategist Says

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2168426,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616