[News] Microsoft Blocks GNU/Linux Out of Its Downloads Site

Linux Users: no MSDN downloads for you!

,----[ Quote ]
| If you actually try to download files using Linux and Firefox on the latest
| version of the MSDN site — which was launched just about two months ago —
| you’ll find out that the choices are all grayed out, even though you have a
| legit entitlement. Curiously, the same problem also occurs for me on Firefox
| 3 RC1 and Beta 5 for Windows (although others have told me their experiences
| were different).
|
| Perhaps this has been the case for a while, but with Microsoft being all
| Interoperability Committed, maybe, just maybe they should consider making
| their support web sites more platform-independent.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8927

Why search competition isn't the point

,----[ Quote ]
| There is strong evidence that the platform that's emerging is more like Linux
| than it is like Windows. That is, no one player is going to own all the
| pieces. But that could change if someone owned enough of the pieces that
| everyone else became dependent on them. So I'd be much more concerned about a
| single player rolling up unrelated and complementary pieces of the larger
| internet OS till they owned critical mass in multiple areas than I would be
| about a single player owning a best of breed application in one area or
| another.
|
| The sooner we start getting serious about interoperability between
| best-of-breed services (the next step up from first generation mashups), the
| safer we'll be against a single dominant player turning their subsystem into
| the "one ring that rules them all."
|
|    2. I think Google understands the need for interoperability better than
|    Microsoft. When Eric Schmidt says "don't fight the internet," I believe he
|    means it.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2008/05/why-search-competition-isnt-the-point.html

Recent:

Microsoft makes online Office play, but not for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft yesterday announced a beta of its Microsoft Office Live Workspace
| beta, an online platform were users can store documents and share them with
| others. Reviews of Microsoft Office Live Workspace have been varied but if
| you’re running Linux you won’t get to use the Live Workspace at all.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2219

Microsoft Shares the Love, but Not with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has put up an invitation to share the love, but not with Linux
| (just bear with me, it will make sense in the end). With Valentine's Day just
| a few weeks away, the teams over at Windows Live and Microsoft Silverlight
| have joined their forces to enable users to spread and share their love.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Shares-the-Love-But-Not-with-Linux-76929.shtml

Related:

Accounting Vendors Block Linux Server Use

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/gripeline/archives/2007/01/accounting_vend.html