[News] [Rival] Microsoft's ACT Shill (Pressure Group) Pushing to Ruin EPO

Another new Microsoft 'propaganda' site for intellectual monopoly:

Microsoft’s 4th EU SME Day | Programme

,----[ Quote ]
| Fighting for Europe’s Community Patent
|
| The European Commission is again gearing up to launch support for a community
| patent. Association of Comeptitive Technologies (ACT) to explore where
| entrepreneurs can directly communicate to policy makers why a community
| patent must succeeed and what it should look like.
`----

http://smeday.eu/2008/smeday/programme.htm

Also noteworthy:

Tort reform

,----[ Quote ]
| First of all, let’s take the calendar date issue. What happens is a small
| calendar pops up and you then choose a date. If Alcatel-Lucent patented this
| interface, I suppose I should have done the same back in 1987 when I wrote a
| similar interface for a custom application I was contracted to design. The
| point is, it’s a CALENDAR! Who owns the patent (or worse, the copyright) on
| the Gregorian calendar, or the method in which it is used? What about the
| algorithm used to calculate dates, Easter, leap years, or Daylight Savings
| Time? It’s not that I’m a huge fan of Microsoft or an opponent of
| Alcatel-Lucent; I’m neither. But to see items like this make me wonder where
| the patent issue stops.
`----

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/danluther/gGBr8J/commentary

How Software Patents' Fuzzy Boundaries Create Unnecessary Litigation

,----[ Quote ]
| James Bessen and Michael Meurer, authors of an important new book on the
| patent system, have a great post on the problems created specifically by
| software patents...
|
| [...]
|
| Bessen and Meurer don't offer a strong recommendation on the best way to
| solve the problems with software patents, but they tentatively endorse
| a "subject matter test" -- that is, reinstating the ban on software
| patents -- as one part of a solution to the problem.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080520/0716461180.shtml

Lawyers rejoice....

Sony, Sanyo, Others Settle LED Patent Complaint

,----[ Quote ]
| Four consumer electronics companies, including Sony and Sanyo Electric, have
| settled a complaint that they were infringing a patent on semiconductors
| related to LEDs and laser diodes used in products such as mobile phones,
| billboards, Blu-ray disc players and data storage devices, according to
| lawyers for the patent holder.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146353/sony_sanyo_others_settle_led_patent_complaint.html

Recent:

Ideas Are Everywhere... So Why Do We Limit Them?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080507/0114581051.shtml