Re: Microsoft.com running Linux?? - Heh heh heh heh heh

On Mon, 26 May 2008 23:08:02 +0000, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> On Sat, 24 May 2008 22:53:11 -0400, ~flyer~ wrote:
>
>> Microsoft has just got to be the biggest joke ever to be scraped off of
>> anything anywhere ever.
>>
>> True or not, only the Redmond Idiot Bin would allow something like this
>> to creep up out of the sludge where it self replicates in huge cancer-
>> like masses daily to spew out utter garbage like vista and other
>> sprawling viruses.
>>

>> From Roy's Post:
>>
>> Talking of Netcraft, it has a rather interesting search that lets you
>> find out what OS any site is running and it lists download.microsoft.com
>> and search.microsoft.com as running Linux. Strange, if true.
>
> IIRC, Microsoft uses the Akamai network to distribute load, and Akamai is
> Linux-based - meaning MS isn't actually using Linux for this, they're just
> using a global distribution network which itself happens to use Linux.

As I recall, a few years back (2003?) M$ windowsupdate.com servers were
getting DDoS attacks, M$ then changed its DNS so that requests for
www.microsoft.com no longer resolved to machines on Microsoft’s own
network, but instead to ones handled by Akamai's caching system, *which
runs Linux*. Akamai presented a more *challenging* target for a DDoS than
any single network, and would seem to be the best practical step where a
distributed denial of service is directed at a hostname that the target
organisation cannot reasonably take offline.

I suspect the wintrolls will shout "WronG" when they try telnetting
"www.microsoft.com http" that they run Microsoft-IIS/6.0...err..well NO
they don't. What happens is that Akamai *also* forwards the http Server:
header from the *original* server as part of the cached content.

> Still, it is kinda funny, sorta.

Ironic really.

--
Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.