Re: Kill the Zune, Microsoft

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Monday 26 May 2008 20:01 : \____

> <Quote>
> If you're one of the roughly 2 million buyers of Microsoft's (Nasdaq:
> MSFT) gutsy portable media player over the past two years, you won't
> like me today. I'm suggesting a mercy killing for the Zune...
>
> Apple sold 10.6 million iPods -- and another 1.7 million iPhones --
> this past quarter. In other words, it would take Apple less than three
> weeks to sell the number of portable media players that Microsoft has
> sold since Zune's birth.
> </Quote>
>
> http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2008/05/23/kill-the-zune-microsoft.aspx

The Zune is already dead (maybe it doesn't know it yet). There was a Zuneral
last Saturday.

Zuneral this Saturday!

,----[ Quote ]
| We regret to report the sudden, unexpected death of Digital Rights
| Management. Details of the tragedy at present remain unclear, but he was
| rushed to the hospital following a direct collision with an oncoming future
| last week at 10 PM. He was seven years old.
`----

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/%7Efreeculture/blog/2008/05/22/zuneral-this-saturday/

Here is what Ballmer said last week (via The Inquirer):

'Ballmer also noted the Xbox had been "a funny product for us" and that the
company had struggled for a while trying to figure out how to make money out
of it.

"The same applies to Zune," he laughed, "except we still haven't figured out
how to make money out of that one."'

Also recent:

GameStop to Stop Zune Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Video-game retailer GameStopGME has decided to stop selling Microsoft's Zune
| players at its stores due to what it sees as insufficient demand from
| customers.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/hardware/10418052.html

The beginning of the end for the Microsoft Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| Some may even say this goes to the root of Microsoft’s heritage. How they
| came to achieve the operating system dominance and success by bullying
| smaller businesses or buying them out and marketing their product as their
| own.
|
| The way things are going, one can not help wonder if Microsoft have just run
| out of ideas on expanding their business and decided to jump on the “me-too”
| bandwagon.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
%20/2008/05/25/the-beginning-to-the-end-for-the-microsoft-zune/

Rest in Peace, Bob...err... I mean, Zune.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "I feed my 3 penguins with electricity and love"
 04:00:02 up 42 days,  2:12,  4 users,  load average: 1.04, 1.20, 1.52