[News] Possible Coming Defeat for Microsoft OOXML

Document doldrums for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Kuscus also said that ISO standards are meant to be resolved by consensus
| wherever possible but that at the ballot resolution meeting only 67 of 1027
| issues raised around the standard were discussed, which undermined possible
| consensus.
|
| The third objection is that despite obligation to publish a final version of
| the standard within a month of the meeting it is almost two months since the
| ballot resolution meeting and no standard has been published, suggesting the
| OOXML format is indeed too complicated.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Software/3908.html

Frankly Speaking: 'Office' politics and the XML file format fight

,----[ Quote ]
| OK, try to follow this: Microsoft has spent the past two years slamming its
| Open XML file format through the process to make it an international
| standard. Along the way, there's been arm-twisting, committee-packing,
| bribery and other chicanery. But by last week, Microsoft was one step away
| from success.
|
| And that's when Microsoft adopted a competing standard.
|
| Sound crazy? Sure -- until you learn that Microsoft's own products don't
| actually conform to the standard that Microsoft has been twisting arms to
| pass. And that the competing standard, the OpenDocument format (ODF), will
| actually be easier to add to Microsoft Office than Open XML would be.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=it_in_government&articleId=319303&taxonomyId=69&intsrc=kc_feat
http://tinyurl.com/634yqg

That "bribery," as even Computer World calls it, will bring heavy fines.

Recent:

South Africa Files Official Appeal Re OOXML - OOXML in Limbo Now

,----[ Quote ]
| I wonder if this is why Microsoft suddenly decided to support ODF, to avoid
| being shut out completely pending the appeal. Might other national bodies be
| considering doing the same thing? Stay tuned.
|
| [...]
|
| So. OOXML is not currently an official standard? I think that is what this
| means. It will take months, at least, I believe, to resolve this. So, to me
| the ODF support announcement by Microsoft yesterday suddenly makes sense. I
| wrote a bit about the appeal process here, if you want to review it. In the
| immortal words of Yogi Berra, it ain't over till it's over.

Microsoft sees slide in profits

Is Microsoft Aura Fading?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday's early relief rally reversed, and Microsoft's value has now fallen
| by more than $30 billion since it unveiled its bid for Yahoo on February 1.
`----          ^^^^^^^^^^^

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121004447596669953.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Microsoft stock drops amid slumping sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp., whose Windows software dominates the personal-computer
| market, fell 6.2 percent Fridayin Nasdaq trading after sales slumped, casting
| doubt on whether PC demand can hold up in a slowing economy. The software
| maker reported a 24 percent drop in sales of Windows last quarter and
| forecast earnings that may miss analysts' estimates.
|
| [...]
|
| "The risk is that Linux gets a foothold and then affects their long-term
| revenue significantly."
`----

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_9061263

Vista Blues Weakens Microsoft's Influence On Software Market

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200805071423DOWJONESDJONLINE000951_FORTUNE5.htm