[News] Red Hat is Expanding to South Africa

Red Hat to open SA office

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux vendor Red Hat is to open an office in South Africa. Starting Monday
| Red Hat will have an SA-based country manager who will be responsible for the
| Southern Africa market on behalf of the company.
`----

http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/article_page.php?from=rss_IOLTechOpenSource&iSectionId=2883&iArticleId=4419217

There are already some mass migrations to Linux in SA businesses (even a large
bank that moved 13,000 desktops), which leaves Microsoft worried and
desperate.

Recent:

South Africans don’t understand OSS - Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite having an open source strategy the South African government doesn’t
| really understand how to benefit from OSS. This is according to Microsoft
| director of corporate standards, Jason Matusow. Matusow, who was in South
| Africa on an “external outreach” trip around the time SA adopted ODF as a
| national standard, writes on his blog that not only does government not
| understand how to benefit from open source software, but South Africans were
| unlikely to ever do any “deep” development work on Linux.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2432

South Africa appeals against OOXML, call your Standards Body now!

,----[ Quote ]
| The South African Standards Body SABS have lodged an appeal at ISO against
| the awful fast-track process of DIS29500, or Microsoft Office OpenXML. Please
| call your national Standards Body and ask them to support this complain. You
| have only 7 days because the deadline is 30 May, 2 months after the ISO vote.
|
| Steve Pepper, being so disgused about the intervention of a Norwegian
| bureaucrat reverting the decision of the Norwegian Technical Committee, is
| pointing at the fact that this person is also member of the ISO Technical
| Management Board (TMB), who will decide on the future of this appeal. I hope
| we will have some transparency on who is deciding what inside ISO on this
| appeal. It is time for ISO to clean up its stables, they have not been
| cleaned for several years, and they are getting dirty and smelly.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-61468/south-africa-appeals-against-ooxml-call-your-standards-body-now

$1 buys a lot of StarOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| As government begins its move to the Open Document Format (ODF) standard, Sun
| Microsystems CEO Jonathan Schwartz has offered President Thabo Mbeki as many
| copies of StarOffice his office requires for a total cost of just $1.00.
|
| [...]
|
| Beveridge explains that the biggest implemetation project currently underway
| within the South African government is the move to ODF.
`----

http://it-online.co.za/content/view/272690/142/

Government, NGOs 'turning to Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's extremely easy - basically anyone can install Linux now."
|
| Organisations such as the Shuttleworth Foundation, which help provide
| computers to underprivileged schools, use Linux instead of Windows to cut
| costs.
`----

http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/article_page.php?from=rss_IOLTechHome&iSectionId=2883&iArticleId=4366559

South Africa adopts ODF as a national standard

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2365