[News] New Zealand Awards for Free Software, Haiku Awards Funding for Projects

New Zealand Open Source Awards 2008 open for nominations

| New Zealand Open Source Awards 2008 open for nominations The 2008 New Zealand
| Open Source Awards are open for nominations until 18 July 2008. This year's
| Awards will focus particularly on achievements over the last twelve months
| and follow the successful inaugural event in 2007.

Haiku Code Drive 2008

| The Haiku Code Drive is a program designed to raise funds from the community
| in order to sponsor students to produce code for Haiku. The Haiku Code Drive
| 2008 program specifically targets student candidates that applied for Haiku
| but could not make it into the Google Summer of Code. We will be offering
| them a U$2,500 stipend per successfully completed project.
`----

http://www.haiku-os.org/community/haiku-code-drive-2008

Yesterday:

Smell the Roses Already: 4 OSs that Should Be Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| More often than not, the question arises on OSNews why certain projects or
| pieces of abandonware aren't released as open source software. Supposedly,
| this would speed up development, facilitate the growth of a community, all
| that jazz associated with open source development.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/19781

Recent:

Announcing Freedom Summer of Code

,----[ Quote ]
| What is the Freedom Summer of Code?
|
| Modeled after the successful Google Summer of Code, the Freedom Summer of
| Code adds a radical social justice twist. We will be working with select tech
| activist organizations to generate interesting ideas as well as help people
| develop several projects over the next three months.
|
| The Freedom Summer of Code aims to advance critical movement technology
| projects and tools that benefit a wide-variety of radical social justice
| organizations and movements; inspire developers to become more interested in
| directly participating in social-justice tech organizations; contributes
| back, for the benefit of all, to the free software world which sustains us
| while simultaneously honoring individual’s labor; increases the social
| ownership and democratic control over information, ideas, technology, and the
| means of communication; empowers organizations and individuals to use
| technology in struggles for liberation. We are developing software that is
| geared specifically to the needs of network organizing and democratic
| collaboration, providing new services that greatly enhance your security and
| privacy.
`----

https://we.riseup.net/fsoc/announcing-freedom-summer-of-code

GNU and FSF News for May 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been continued discussion of the GNU Hurd GSoC projects this month.
| One of the subjects covered is the issue of copyright assignments by the
| contributors. Sergiu Ivanov announced the availability of an extension module
| that allows retrieving the uptime of the system and the load averages from
| Python scripts
|
| How you can help: The number of developers working on the Hurd and GNU Mach
| continues to be small and they could use your help. Check in on the #hurd IRC
| channel or the bug-hurd mailing list. There should be no trouble finding
| interesting things to work on.
`----

http://www.advogato.org/article/975.html

Google Summer of Code 2008 Takes 1,125 Developers

`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/04/google-summer-of-code-2008-tak.html