[News] DHS Helps Debunk Microsoft-inposed Free Software FUD

Open source, proprietary codes include similar mistakes

,----[ Quote ]
| The company said its initial two-year DHS contract is ending, and Coverity
| will continue to operate the Scan site because of the favorable response the
| project has received from software developers and others in the open-source
| community.
`----

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/46342-1.html

Coverity: Open Source Code Quality Up by 16 Percent

http://osnews.com/story/19780/Coverity-Open-Source-Code-Quality-Up-by-16-Percent

"Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated with mental
deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and OS/2."
Just keep rubbing it in, via the press, analysts, newsgroups, whatever. Make
the complete failure of the competition's technology part of the mythology of
the computer industry. We want to place selection pressure on those companies
and individuals that show a genetic weakness for competitors' technologies,
to make the industry increasingly resistant to such unhealthy strains, over
time."

                                --- Microsoft, internal document

                                http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

There's a lot of FUD at the moment about "open source" and "support". Microsoft
is back to dirty tricks and rumours.

Recent:

DHS report: Open-source code "quality" is up

,----[ Quote ]
| A U.S. Department of Homeland Security-sponsored project has not only
| discovered that the quality of open source software code has improved
| significantly over the past two years, it has debunked a widely held
| assumption that longer function strings within source code are associated
| with an increased number of code defects.
`----

http://www.scmagazineus.com/DHS-report-Open-source-code-quality-is-up/article/110360/

Open source security improving rapidly

,----[ Quote ]
| The quality and security of open source software is improving rapidly,
| according to an in-depth analysis of over 250 popular applications including
| Linux and Apache.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2217059/open-source-security-improving

Study Says Linux More Secure

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 70 percent people surveyed said they found Red Hat Linux less
| vulnerable to security issues than Microsoft's operating system.
`----

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Study_Says_Linux_More_Secure/551-88850-580.html

Study: 70 percent say Red Hat more secure than Windows

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080425-study-70-percent-say-red-hat-more-secure-than-windows.html