[News] ISO Process Stalled; Other Countries May Join South Africa's OOXML Complaint

  • Subject: [News] ISO Process Stalled; Other Countries May Join South Africa's OOXML Complaint
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 19:51:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

UPDATE - Countries may follow South Africa in appealing Microsoft-sponsored
OOXML standard: ISO

,----[ Quote ]
| According to ISO spokesman Roger Frost, "Because the period for receipt of
| appeals remains open until the end of May, ISO will communicate on the next
| steps in early June, when it knows whether any other national bodies are
| appealing."
`----

http://www.itvendorsdirectory.ca/Online-Resources/microsoft-ooxml-iso-standard-appeal-south-africa-001.html

South Africa appeals against OOXML, call your Standards Body now!

,----[ Quote ]
| The South African Standards Body SABS have lodged an appeal at ISO against
| the awful fast-track process of DIS29500, or Microsoft Office OpenXML. Please
| call your national Standards Body and ask them to support this complain. You
| have only 7 days because the deadline is 30 May, 2 months after the ISO vote.
|
| Steve Pepper, being so disgused about the intervention of a Norwegian
| bureaucrat reverting the decision of the Norwegian Technical Committee, is
| pointing at the fact that this person is also member of the ISO Technical
| Management Board (TMB), who will decide on the future of this appeal. I hope
| we will have some transparency on who is deciding what inside ISO on this
| appeal. It is time for ISO to clean up its stables, they have not been
| cleaned for several years, and they are getting dirty and smelly.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-61468/south-africa-appeals-against-ooxml-call-your-standards-body-now

Phone numbers are on the pages. Give them a call.

Recent:

The South Africa Bureau of Standards submits an official appeal to ISO and IEC
against OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| At least one National Body has submitted a formal complaint to ISO and IEC.
| South Africa was rather vocal about the Fast Tracking process of OOXML from
| day one.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/05/the-south-afric.html

Related:

ISO Fantasy

,----[ Quote ]
| What OOXML Is · The ISO process, brutal and corrupt as it was, has been
|                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| covered to death by everyone. Its output, soon to be known as ISO/IEC 29500,
| differs from ECMA-376 in two ways. ¶
|
| [...]
|
| What Microsoft really wanted was that ISO stamp of approval to use as a
| marketing tool. And just like your mother told you, when they get what they
| want and have their way with you, they’re probably not gonna call you in the
| morning.
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2008/04/15/OOXML

Computer experts stage street protest in Oslo against Microsoft document format
as standard

,----[ Quote ]
| OSLO, Norway: Roughly 60 data experts staged a rare and noisy street
| demonstration in downtown Oslo on Wednesday to protest the adoption of
| Microsoft Corp.'s document format as an international standard and against
| Norway voting for the move.
|
| [...]
|
| He claimed the committee ignored the advice of the vast majority of the
| Nordic nation's software experts, was pressured by Microsoft and
| displayed "scandalous behavior."
`----

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/04/09/business/EU-TEC-Norway-Digital-Demonstration.php

OOXML triggers demonstration in Norway: "Let's throw OOXML out of ISO"

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-52412/ooxml-triggers-demonstration-in-norway:let-s-throw-ooxml-out-of-iso

Demonstration outside ISO conference

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Pepper, the former Chairman of the Norwegian committee responsible for
| deciding the Norwegian vote on OOXML, is calling for a demonstration to take
| place outside the building where SC34, the ISO committee that has been landed
| with OOXML, is holding its spring plenary.
|
| The demonstration will take place outside Håndverkeren, Rosenkrantzgate 7,
| Oslo, Norway, on Wednesday April 9 at 12.00. Among the slogans are:
|
| * No to ISO approval of OOXML!
| * Defend the integrity of ISO!
| * Microsoft: Support ODF!
| * Ecma: Withdraw OOXML!
| * Norway must say no to OOXML!
`----

http://blogs.freecode.no/isene/2008/04/07/demonstration-outside-iso-conference/

Shenanigans Alleged on Road to OOXML Vote

,----[ Quote ]