[News] CIO: Free Software Development Model Proving Successful

Using Open-Source Innovation Networks to Drive Collaborative Software
Development

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the open source model for collaborative software development can
| cut costs while providing a basis to create other innovative networks to
| develop technology specific to your company. While few have tried to develop
| industry-specific or vertically oriented open-source solutions up to now, it
| could become the future of software development.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/367213

Report from the Texas Open Source Symposium

,----[ Quote ]
| This conference was small and not as well-organized as some, but it was not a
| bad show for a first attempt, and I hope to be involved next year. Texas is
| not exactly center stage in the development of free software, but it’s good
| to see what is happening here.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/report_texas_open_source_symposium

Related:

Alan Cox on open-source development vs. proprietary development

,----[ Quote ]
| When you release a free software project, you do things in a different order.
| Firstly, you get some code. Hopefully, it just about works. And you document
| it as "Needs fixing, needs this, needs that."
|
| But most free software code, to get other people involved in the project, it
| has to work. It doesn't matter if it's hard to compile. It doesn't matter if
| it only works on one machine in five. And it doesn't matter if it eats the
| data file every so often. So long as sometimes, the right results happen,
| people will start to pick up the project and use it. They start to use it,
| and then they have to fix it.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9803919-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Don’t invent, evolve