[News] Insecurity by Obscurity and Migrations to GNU/Linux in American Energy Firms

  • Subject: [News] Insecurity by Obscurity and Migrations to GNU/Linux in American Energy Firms
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 03:52:44 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Cyber attacks on American energy firms possible

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a report by a Federal supervisory authority, the Tennessee
| Valley Authority (TVA), the largest state-owned energy firm in the USA, is
| vulnerable to electronic attack. The Washington Post today reported that the
| Government Accountability Office (GAO) considers it possible for crackers to
| sabotage important systems that are responsible for supplying power to
| approximately 8.7 million Americans.
|
| [...]
|
| The Washington Post also quotes arguments of other security experts who don't
| paint such a black picture. According to them, it isn't easy for crackers to
| find their way around control systems that are written using custom protocols
| tailored to individual clients and are embedded in systems they have never
| previously seen. They claim this is an example of "security by obscurity".
| Any protection this gives is however, likely to be gradually undermined
| because the operators of many such facilities are migrating from tailor-made
| legacy systems to commonly used and well known operating systems such as
| Microsoft Windows or Linux.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/108379/from/rss09

Not just Linux, which "well known" according to this article.

Is Open Source software safe and secure?

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s a big question: how trustworthy is the software I use on my computer?
| When it comes to open source, can you trust the quality of programmers who
| work for free?  You can, according to a new report out this week – which also
| proves major open source offerings to be especially well written. It equally
| shows up the projects which are slow to respond to vulnerabilities.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18372/1141/1/0/

Days ago:

DHS report: Open-source code "quality" is up

,----[ Quote ]
| A U.S. Department of Homeland Security-sponsored project has not only
| discovered that the quality of open source software code has improved
| significantly over the past two years, it has debunked a widely held
| assumption that longer function strings within source code are associated
| with an increased number of code defects.
`----

http://www.scmagazineus.com/DHS-report-Open-source-code-quality-is-up/article/110360/

Open source security improving rapidly

,----[ Quote ]
| The quality and security of open source software is improving rapidly,
| according to an in-depth analysis of over 250 popular applications including
| Linux and Apache.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2217059/open-source-security-improving

Recent:

Study Says Linux More Secure

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 70 percent people surveyed said they found Red Hat Linux less
| vulnerable to security issues than Microsoft's operating system.
`----

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Study_Says_Linux_More_Secure/551-88850-580.html

Study: 70 percent say Red Hat more secure than Windows

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080425-study-70-percent-say-red-hat-more-secure-than-windows.html