[News] Vancouver-based Group Builds GNU/Linux Boxes, Helps Environment

FOSS helps Free Geek Vancouver become an ethical recycler

,----[ Quote ]
| Free Geek Vancouver (FGV) is now certified as the first ethical recycler in
| western Canada by the Basel Action Network (BAN), and an important part of
| the certification is the organization's refurbishing of used computers with
| free and open source software (FOSS).
|
| The certification means that FGV's practices have been audited by BAN and
| found to comply with that organization's Electronic Recycler's Pledge of True
| Stewardship or e-Stewardship Program. In other words, the certification means
| that equipment collected by FGV:
|
|     * Is not shipped overseas for disassembly or reuse in contravention of
|       the Basel Convention of 1989 that forbids the export of toxic materials
|     * Is not sent to prisons for recycling
|     * Is reused if possible
|     * Is processed by smelters and other recovery operations that meet local
|       environmental and health regulations
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/134805

Microsoft has already begun a dumping program against this as well, offering
discounts to recyclers.

Recent:

Helping the Needy Get Nerdy

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Journal reader Kevin, from Portland, Oregon, tells us, "I've donated
| equipment and money to them (Free Geek). I love giving working computer gear
| to them knowing that someone will learn computer skills by refurbishing it,
| computer. After 24 hours of donated time the volunteer gets to take home a
| computer for their own."
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/helping-needy-get-nerdy

British PC users fail to recycle PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| The online research was carried out by TNS of 1,050 adults over a two day
| period in February. It found that a staggering 12.5 million unwanted PCs or
| laptops have not been re-used or recycled by their owners over the past five
| years.
|
| [...]
|
| The new findings also indicate a worrying level of apathy among the
| population with many people making no attempt to recycle their unwanted IT
| hardware. Over 1 million people said they had dumped their computer or laptop
| in their household rubbish (4 percent) or fly tipped it in the countryside (1
| percent).
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=11692

Related:

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

Heroes of Linux and FOSS: Ken Starks, AKA Helios

,----[ Quote ]
| This seems like a good time for a Ken Starks retrospective. This is the man
| who, despite some rather gnarly health problems churns out blog entries and
| interesting Linux projects by the truckload.

Avoiding a Computer Wasteland

,----[ Quote ]
| Out with the old PC—companies should look to professional refurbishers to
| recycle wares in a safe, environmentally friendly, socially conscious way
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2007/tc2007102_885587.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

Major Linux Hardware Donor Is a CNN "Hero"

,----[ Quote ]
| Burgett's filmed interview is currently leading a CNN contest among videos
| of 'ordinary people' whom CNN considers everyday heroes, narrowly edging out
| the video of a man who is saving gorillas from extinction.
|
| [...]
|
| Reader stefanlasiewski posted a journal article describing how,
| bewilderingly, the state of California is threatening to shut down Burgett's
| ACCRC.
`----

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/02/2146230&from=rss

16,000 Linux computers delivered - for free

,----[ Quote ]