[News] New Mandriva Linux Partnerships in Nigeria

Nigeria: Unilag, Mandriva Linus in ICT Partnership

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva Linux, the global editor of Linux distribution, with head office in
| Paris, incorporated a subsidiary, Mandriva Linux West Africa Limited with
| headquarters in Lagos .
`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200805220538.html

With Microsoft bribing officials (see below), one has to wonder if Microsoft is
the biggest criminal there.

Related:

There's always hope...

| And to back his buddy, the MS dude (Neil Holloway) in charge of Europe
| branch: " [snip Tim Funkenbusch Quark-like garbage] " said Holloway.
|
| Talk about spinning to a ridiculous level!
|
| If it isn't about the cost of software, why don't you give all your products
| away for free? You can't teach ANY computer skills without the software. And
| guess what? MS software costs money!
|
| Overall, we're talking more than 100,000 Classmate PCs when the deployment is
| complete. That's a crap load of licenses!
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/21831

Lessons from Africa: How to Kill Your Own FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| So, even as Microsoft claims superior quality over Linux, they act as if they
| don't even buy their own FUD. If they really believed that Windows was
| superior to Linux, they wouldn't have to bribe people with “marketing help”
| to get them to choose Windows.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-09-030-26-OP-MD-MS

Linux wins Nigerian school desktops back from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are sticking with that platform," said the official, who would not give
| his name.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124
http://tinyurl.com/27ycq9

And the Nigerian government chose Windows [It didn't] why?

,----[ Quote ]
| That’s precisely what Nigeria did. Having used the Classmate with Mandriva
| installed, I simply can’t find any flaws in the system that would lead to
| such a switch. No deficiencies compared to Windows, no performance problems,
| no installation problems, nothing. Mandriva just works in this setting and
| works well. No wonder François Bancilhon was angry.
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1338

Living with Mandriva 2008

,----[ Quote ]