[News] Ekepticism Everywhere Over Microsoft's Embrace (and Extend?) of ODF

Critics Blast Microsoft Despite ODF Support Pledge

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft said it's going to build native ODF support into Office 2007. But
| is that enough to satisfy the rival camp after a lengthy debate over OOXML?
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3748596

Should We Fear the (Redmond) Geeks Bearing Gifts?

,----[ Quote ]
| As well as this unexpected backing, proponents of ODF should also find their
| hand strengthened once OpenOffice.org 3.0 appears. By all accounts it's a
| good step up from version 2.0, and that was markedly better than 1.0.
| All-in-all, then, things are looking up for open source office suites in
| enterprises: now might be a good time to go on the offensive.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&entryid=815

Microsoft's ODF Policy Gets Skeptical Reception From EU

,----[ Quote ]
| Little sooner had Microsoft announced upcoming Office support for the Open
| Document Format than the European Commission countered that it will
| investigate to make sure such a measure actually ensures greater consumer
| choice. Microsoft's Office 2007 will support ODF once the suite's Service
| Pack 2 comes along. It's expected in the first half of 2009.

Microsoft's embrace of ODF cautiously welcomed

,----[ Quote ]
| A looming concern is if Microsoft's implementation of ODF within Office will
| handle documents with the same or better performance as competing suites.
| Microsoft has been criticized for embracing a particular standard but using
| subtle means within its software to subvert it.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1038591799&rid=-50

All eyes on how Microsoft pulls off ODF support

,----[ Quote ]
| European Commission, weary of dealing with Microsoft, will put the software
| giant under the microscope
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1748725720&rid=-50

EU to investigate Microsoft file format support.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9950148-7.html