[News] Microsoft 'Support' for ODF Another 'Converter Hoax'?

ODF Alliance sceptical of Microsoft supporting ODF dropping ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Marcich advised caution for now, noting that Microsoft announced its
| intention two years ago to implement “support” for ODF for via a third-party
| translator that is still in beta (under development) and will not be
| completed until the first half of 2009. There was limited functionality
| available via the converters and they were poorly integrated into the overall
| Microsoft user interface, as compared with the integration and functionality
| Microsoft offers for its own OOXML format.
|
| “What governments want is direct, internal support for ODF in Microsoft
| Office. Governments do not want to waste time waiting for translators to load
| or re-engineering default-save functions for their workforce,” added
| Marcich. “If Microsoft actually follows through with this most recent
| promise, it will reinforce the global market-led demand by customers,
| particularly governments, seeking open standards based interoperability
| through ODF.”
`----

http://www.fanaticattack.com/2008/odf-alliance-sceptical-of-microsoft-supporting-odf-dropping-iso-ooxml.html

[FSFE PR][EN] FSFE Newsletter

,----[ Quote ]
| 2. Lack of quality in standardisation a serious problem
|
| "FSFE published its 'Six questions to national standardisation bodies'
| before the September 2nd vote last year. [1] Considering the statements
| about progress made on MS-OOXML, one would have hoped that at least one
| of these questions enjoyed a satisfactory response," states FSFE's
| German Deputy country coordinator Matthias Kirschner.  He continues:
| "Unfortunately that is not the case. Issues like the 'Converter Hoax' [2]
| and the 'Questions on Open Formats' [3] are still equally valid. As the
| 'Deprecated before use' [4] and 'Interoperability woes with OOXML' [5]
| documents demonstrate, MS-OOXML interoperability is severely limited in
| comparison to Open Standards. In addition to these issues, there are the
| legal concerns that were raised by various parties. [6]"
|
| FSFE vice-president Jonas Öberg states: "Governments have to start
| asking themselves what the ISO seal of approval really means. As
| demonstrated by the MPEG standards, it never meant that something
| qualifies as a meaningful 'Open Standard.'"
`----

http://mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/press-release/2008q2/000209.html

Microsoft’s ODF support looks good … but on paper only

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s pledge to support ODF as a native file format in Office 2007 SP2
| is good news for  OpenOffice – but on paper only.
| The devil is in the details – and Microsoft hasn’t spelled out precisely how
| or if its ODF 1.1 implementation will support macros and other challenging
| aspects of document interoperability. And it will be some time before we find
| out. Office 2007 SP2 won’t appear until the first half of 2009.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2463

Yesterday:

My take on why Microsoft finally decided to support ODF

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://lehors.wordpress.com/2008/05/21/my-take-on-why-microsoft-finally-decided-to-support-odf/