[News] The Linux Foundation Expands to Asia

Linux Foundation Opens Korean Office

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation, the nonprofit organization dedicated to accelerating
| the growth of Linux, today announced that it is opening an office in Seoul,
| Korea. Kwangjei "Daniel" Cho, former senior director of Haansoft, Inc., will
| be the Linux Foundation director of Korea.
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=859869

Linux hotbed.

Recent:

SK Telecom Joins LiMo Foundation to Speed up Linux Platform Development

,----[ Quote ]
| SK Telecom joined LiMo Foundation, the international consortium to develop
| standard Linux-based mobile platform.
`----

http://www.telecomskorea.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5686&Itemid=2

KDE in Korea

,----[ Quote ]
| Places which use free software are increasing. Many people engaged in a
| social movement are studying and using free software. They are making a film
| with GNU/Linux systems, have meetings to bring information about Free
| Software. I also engage in the social movement, and am making the nonprofit
| cooperation to bring people to meet free software. (Of course I have the plan
| to show KDE project.)
|
| What are the most popular Linux distributions and software in Korea?
|
| As you know, Ubuntu is the most popular distribution in Linux users group,
| Fedora is the most popular in general. The Firefox is the best well-known
| program.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1209422140/

[Korea:] Condition for Success of Embedded Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| As the embedded linux is emerging as an affordable operating system for
| digital TV sets and handsets, community developers are raising their voices
| over the three obstacles on the success of the embedded linux.
`----

http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/detail.html?id=200803210008

Related:

Sambo to Launch Linux-based PC

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Haansoft, this is the first time a Korean PC brand has launched
| a Linux-based PC.
|
| he PC uses “Asianux Desktop 3” operating system along with applications
| including Haansoft Office 2008 Linux to be launched next month.
`----

http://www.koreaitdaily.com/ddaily/viewPage.do?sn=100948

On what Helio has learnt: Open Source is the General Trend!

,----[ Quote ]
| Helio has absorbed the idea of open source platform application, which has
| been activated and widely used in the United States, for WDP 2.0 project.
| Unix, SunOne, WebLogic, Commercial BPM Solution, all which was WDP 1.0
| system-based, have been changed to open source based platforms, such as JBoss
| and jBPM, accompanied by download servers, such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux,
| Web Application/Core Application/Contents download servers.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/enterprise/0,39036961,39165784,00.htmlinux

[The Outlook for 2008 Korean IT Industry] Tech Predictions for 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| The greening of IT was also counted as an important trend for 2008. Linux is
| predicted to make major inroads into various areas. Particularly, Google’s
| Andriod mobile platform in the cooperation with the Open Handset Alliance
| (OHA) will spur the blossom of the blossom of the OS.
`----

http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/detail.html?id=200801010001

Haansoft to donate Linux based Hangul program to Daejeon City

,----[ Quote ]
| The company provided 780 copies of the Linux-based Hangul 2005 to centers
| that house infants and small children through Childcare Center Association of
| Daejeon city.
`----

http://www.koreaitdaily.com/ddaily/viewPage.do?sn=100897

North, South Korea Unite Over Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The bitter political foes will team with China on the project, tentatively
| named "Hana Linux"
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/dec2007/gb2007123_556880.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_global+business
http://tinyurl.com/2tzgrp

Two Koreas Join Forces to Develop Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| South and North Korea team up to develop a version of ‘Hana Linux
| (tentatively named)’ and set standards.
`----

http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/detail.html?id=200712060004

ODF a National Standard in Korea

,----[ Quote ]
| The proposal for ODF to be accepted as a Malaysian Standard by SIRIM,
| Department of Standards Malaysia and ultimately the Minister of Science,
| Technology & Innovation is dormant for more than a year now. Four months
| after the Malaysian proposal went to sleep, Italy made ODF a National
| Standard. Eight months after that, Korea has followed suit. With this Korean
| news, perhaps the Malaysian proposal will be awakened.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007/11/odf-a-national-.html

Korea, No with comments to OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Korean government concluded that OOXML is incomplete for ISO standards right
| now and suggested some of complements for that.
`----

http://channy.creation.net/antiooxml/korea-no-ooxml.html

The cost of monoculture

,----[ Quote ]
| Korea will only get beyond this problem by 1) applying Korean laws
| on open standards to the certificate authorities, 2) reassigning new
| certificates which work with open web standards to all Koreans, 3)
| reprogramming all Korean websites to support 128 bit SSL which will
| allow for a heterogeneous marketplace of operating systems and web
| browsers. This is a herculean task and thus Korea stays hostage to
| Redmond.
|
| Fascinating history. Unintended consequences and de-facto monopolies
| create costs too high to calculate and must be borne without question.
`----

http://www.kanai.net/weblog/archive/2007/01/26/00h53m55s#003095

Is MS Overcharging Koreans for Vistas?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft?s Windows Vista program is selling in South Korea at
| prices up to 70 percent higher than in the United States or
| Japan, with Microsoft blaming Korea's immature market
| for the price difference.
`----

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/200701/kt2007012618202953460.htm

Consumers in No Hurry for Vista Upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| In a survey of 4,144 members of Danawa.com, a price comparison site,
| only 14 percent of respondents said that they will immediately upgrade
| to the Vista platform when Microsoft releases it on January 30.
`----

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/200612/kt2006122918214111890.htm

Korean government warns against Vista upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ministry of Information and Communication said that it wished it
| could tell a private company like Microsoft to postpone the release
| of Vista, but it can't. The best thing, an official said, was not to
| install Vista before you know what you're getting into.

South Korea, OSS License Guide Announced

,----[ Quote ]
| The Guide explains how to strategically manage and utilize open source SW as
| well as what the open source SW is and how to use it. Explanation for GPL, an
| open source SW, published in June, 2007, is included in the Guide as well.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/enterprise/0,39036961,39163094,00.htm

Korean software firm sues Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Korean newspaper Chosun, the US software mammoth has been
| accused of causing a loss in sales revenue estimated at W30bn (US$1=W918)
| because the firm's Windows operating system comes pre-loaded with a media
| player and instant messaging.
|
| Seoul Central District Court confirmed yesterday that Digito was suing
| Microsoft in the US and Korea, claiming that the software giant had violated
| the Fair Trade Act since 2000.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/24/korean_digito_sues_microsoft/

Motorola adds Carrier Grade Linux partner

,----[ Quote ]
| Embedded Linux provider Wind River has forged a joint development, marketing,
| and support agreement with Motorola's network equipment division, it says.
| The "strategic alliance" aims to bring Wind River's Carrier Grade Linux (CGL)
| and VxWorks OSes to Motorola's AdvancedTCA and MicroTCA (pictured at left)
| products.

Motorola selling Razr2 phone in S.Korea

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola accounted for 11.5 percent of the Korean handset market as of the
| end of April. Samsung Electronics Co. held 55 percent and LG Electronics Inc.
| had 19 percent, according to Korea-based ATLAS Research Group.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070629/ap_on_hi_te/skorea_motorola_razr2

Korean court rebuffs Microsoft in patents case

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/27/ms_korea_court/

Consumers in No Hurry for Vista Upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| In a survey of 4,144 members of Danawa.com, a price comparison site,
| only 14 percent of respondents said that they will immediately upgrade
| to the Vista platform when Microsoft releases it on January 30.
`----

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/200612/kt2006122918214111890.htm

Haansoft Teams Up with Redgate, Targets Linux Market in Asia

,----[ Quote ]
| Haansoft said on Wednesday that it had teamed up with domestic
| security firm Redgate to reinforce security for 'Asianux.'
`----

http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/detail.html?id=200701110004

First phase of Korea's open-source city is high success

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the trend of open source adaptation in major cities worldwide,
| one of the major Korean cities, Gwangju Metropolitan City, successfully
| jumped onto the open source transition, receiving spotlight from related
| industry.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/enterprise/0,39036961,39154182,00.htm

South Korea's ETRI develops advanced Linux desktop search system, puts end to
erroneous results

,----[ Quote ]
| On 21st, South Korean R&D firm ETRI announced that they have developed new
| Linux desktop search system, 'antbear'. The antbear can analyze and run
| advanced text searches, producing more accurate results by precisely
| analyzing the search words.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/internet/0,39036962,39154048,00.htm

An open source development project 'Winter of Code' just got launched!

,----[ Quote ]
| Soonseon Kwon, who runs KLDP (Korean Linux Documentation Project)
| said, "This is the first ever open source event in Korea and I hope
| it will serve as a good opportunity to promote the open source to
| Korean students. I also hope that both the students and resulting
| projects can put a positive effect on the open source community."
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/enterprise/0,39036961,39153660,00.htm

'Genome Project' Led by Open Source HPC

,----[ Quote ]
| The BLAST tool module is highly compatible to run on Linux
| platform with advantage of considerably faster result compared
| to running on other platform.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/enterprise/0,39036961,39153485,00.htm

Army Considers Shift to Open-Source Programs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/200609/kt2006091517155210440.htm