[News] Lobbyists Want to Poison Kids' Minds with IP and Other BS

Verheugen Commission wants to set the minds of children

,----[ Quote ]
| Responsible lobbyism respects our democratic culture. Unfettered technocratic
| thinking neglects the basic principles of European liberalism. The small
| business act as an example for loss of reality.
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-60676/verheugen-commission-wants-to-set-the-minds-of-children

Does open source mandate change in copyright law?

,----[ Quote ]
| The purpose of copyright and patent rights is not the permanent enrichment of
| authors, inventors, and their descendents or assigned corporate parents. It
| is to provide an incentive for the creation and distribution of new work.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2458

Recent:

Can Microsoft teach tots digital-age virtue?

,----[ Quote ]
| The basis of Redmond's pitch was a small survey they sponsored where nearly
| half of the kids polled said they were unfamiliar with the rules and
| guidelines of using copyrighted media. Microsoft figured tots would be less
| inclined to steal someone's IP if they knew about the alleged consequences.
|
| A lot of digital ink was used to slam Microsoft's scheme. People need Redmond
| telling them about IP rules like they need Pavorotti schooling them about a
| well-balanced diet.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/27/microsoft_ip_curriculum_look/

Threat Of Jail Time Increases Respect For Copyright, Microsoft Says

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not clear whether Microsoft's statement to teen respondents -- "When you
| do not follow these rules you are open to significant fines and possibly jail
| time" -- is entirely accurate, particularly when teens under the age of 18
| are involved. Emily Berger, an intellectual property fellow at the Electronic
| Frontier Foundation, is skeptical. "I think it's being used as a scare
| tactic," she said. "It's a real stretch of the law to say it's theoretically
| possible."
`----

http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206503467

Microsoft training youth to love intellectual property

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9871636-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad