[News] AMD Catalyst 8.5 Improves, Open Source GPU Takes Orders

AMD Catalyst 8.5 For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The most interesting developments with this driver release are improved 2D
| performance and Catalyst AI, but Dynamic Kernel Module Support also goes a
| way into improving the installation experience for this proprietary driver
| and the Linux 2.6.25 support is needed for some of the newer Linux
| distributions.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=catalyst_85_linux&num=1

Open graphics card available for preorder

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Graphics Project has started accepting preorders for their OGD1, a
| graphics card with a completely open source design. This initial release is
| billed as a high-end FPGA prototyping kit specifically designed to test
| computer graphics architectures. The card has two DVI connectors, S-Video,
| 256MB RAM, and a 64bit PCI-X connector. The core of the system is a Xilinx
| Spartan-3 XC3S4000 FPGA. A nonvolatile Lattice XP10 FPGA is used to bootstrap
| the Xilinx at power up. Here's the layout of the specific components.
`----

http://www.hackaday.com/2008/05/21/open-graphics-card-available-for-preorder/

They ought to have it preloaded together with some of these gNewSense
(preinstalled) PCs.

Recent:

LAC Now Shipping gNewSense 2.0 Systems (1 May 2008)

,----[ Quote ]
| gNewSense DeltaH was released today, and we are pleased to offer
| preconfigured Workstations, Portable Systems, ThinkCentres, Laptops, and
| Servers, as well as fully customized Core 2 Duo, Athlon 64, Xeon, and Opteron
| computers, preinstalled with the latest gNewSense GNU/Linux operating system.
| gNewSense is a GNU/Linux distribution that is listed as free by the GNU
| Project.
`----

http://laclinux.com/gnu/News#20080501.1

Project VGA Hopes To Ship Next Month

,----[ Quote ]
| Michael Meeuwisse of Project VGA, which spawned from the Open Graphics
| Project for creating a truly open-source graphics card, announced today at
| FOSDEM 2008 that next month he hopes to ship the first of his prototype
| graphics cards. However, before you get your hopes up, this is a very low-end
| graphics card. The current Project VGA board has 16MB of SD RAM, Xilinx
| Spartan 3 s400 FPGA under 100MHz, and uses the PCI bus.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjM1NQ

Related:

The Open Graphics Development Board

,----[ Quote ]
| Additional details are available on the Traversal Technology Product Page.
`----

http://wiki.opengraphics.org/tiki-index.php?page=OGD1

Project VGA

,----[ Quote ]
| Home of the Low Budget, Open Source, VGA Compatible video card
`----

http://www.wacco.mveas.com/projectvga.php

First Open Graphics board appears

,----[ Quote ]
| This project is on the basis that a GPU should not end up with
| tons of propriatary software or hardware, containing hidden
| problems that aren't mentioned to the press, and yet cause
| nervous breakdowns for developers worldwide.

Interview: Timothy Miller, Open Graphics Project

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/130/ruecker.html