Re: Remark of the Day from Steve "Scrambles to Escape Eggs" Ballmer

____/ Linonut on Thursday 22 May 2008 12:42 : \____

>> Funny remarks from a new press conference (yesterday):
>>
>> 'Ballmer also noted the Xbox had been "a funny product for us" and that the
>> company had struggled for a while trying to figure out how to make money out
>> of it.
>
> Microsoft would make more money from Xbox if they didn't have to send
> out so many refurbished units to customers.

If they still have a house to send it to.

This one is from exactly one month ago:

Xbox 360 burns house down

,----[ Quote ]
| An Xbox 360 has allegedly caused over $100,000 (£50,000/€62,000) worth of
| damage to an US gamer’s house, after the console’s power brick caught fire.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04/21/arkansas_xbox_360_fire/

Also recent:

Bill Gates May Have to Testify In Xbox Fire Case

,----[ Quote ]
| The lawyer for the family of a teenage girl who was horribly burned in a
| house fire allegedly sparked by a faulty Xbox game console is threatening to
| have Microsoft chairman Bill Gates testify about the safety of his company's
| offshore manufacturing practices.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207000426

Microsoft Admits ALL Xbox360's Are Defective

,----[ Quote ]
| Though Robbie Bach, head of Microsoft's Xbox360 Division refused to elaborate
| on the issue, the general consensus is that it's one of botched thermal
| design management and inadequate dissipation of heat leading to component
| failure.
`----

http://www.fastsilicon.com/latest-news/microsoft-admits-all-xbox360s-are-defective.html?Itemid=60

Raikes and Other Exits

,----[ Quote ]
| It's weird that Mini and all the commenters here have failed to notice the
| mass exodus from the Xbox team in 2007. By my count, more than 15% of the
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| product team (dev/PM/test) have left Microsoft for Apple, Sony, Google,
| Yahoo, MySpace, Amazon, and various other companies (including several
| startups, local and in the Valley).
`----

http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2008/01/raikes-and-other-exits.html

Microsoft facing $1bn Xbox bill

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, has not revealed how many of its machines have suffered the
| problem, but said the number was "bigger than we are comfortable with."

The story about the dead baby is still in doubt, so I won't bring it up. The
family accused Microsoft because the XBox seems to have been the cause for the
fire.

http://slated.org/microsoft_kills_baby

>> "The same applies to Zune," he laughed, "except we still haven't figured out
>> how to make money out of that one."'
>
> Microsoft should ask their "Plays Fer Sure, Dood" partners about that
> one.

Maybe they are still squirting* songs out of excitement.

___
*Microsoft terminology.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
Mem:    515500k total,   444952k used,    70548k free,     1228k buffers