[News] Latest OOXML Failures; Process Called a Farce

Alex Brown and the lost scroll of OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| So where are we now? I would first like to thank Mr Brown for his
| clarifications, but I am not sure we’re anywhere more advanced than
| yesterday. We still have no bloody OOXML, and that’s not going to happen
| anytime soon. The latest findings only confirm how the standardization
| process has become a farce.
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2008/05/21/alex-brown-and-the-lost-scroll-of-ooxml/

Yesterday:

20 May: a day of anniversaries

,----[ Quote ]
| Ultimately the situation raises questions which go to the heart of the
| relationship between JTC 1 as an entity, and its member bodies. Just who is
| in charge, the nations or the officials? The unfortunate state of the
| Directives have meant there have been too many occasions when officials have
| had to step in and save the nations from the folly of the Directives that
| they themselves approved. Like ODF and OOXML the Directives is (literally) a
| standard, a standard that has faults. Unlike ODF and OOXML, however, I am
| beginning to believe the Directives have got to a state where they cannot be
| redeemed by evolution and amendment. It may be time to start again from
| scratch.
`----

http://adjb.net/index.php?entry=entry080520-161544

Related:

Martin Bryan: we are getting “standardization by corporation”

,----[ Quote ]
| A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
| WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
| says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible'
|
| [...]
|
| In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
| JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
| have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
| get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
| AR} - approved as an ISO standard. …
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30107/martin-bryan:we-are-getting-standardization-by-corporation

Dysfunctional ISO - Courtesy of Microsoft

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2007/12/dysfunctional-iso-courtesy-of-microsoft.html

Microsoft accused of stacking ISO committee

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1777