Re: Schestowitz lies again (was Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Unacceptable "Pay Up or Be Zombie" Tactics)

____/ Book of Job on Wednesday 21 May 2008 20:25 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> ____/ Book of Job on Tuesday 20 May 2008 12:49 : \____
>>
>>> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> <http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144938/schneier_lots_

>>> I snipped what was unneccessary to prove Roy's quote false.  Whether
>>> it's "sufficient" or only "gets that bottom layer" is irrelevant to
>>> the point I was trying to make.  The point is that Roy misremembered
>>> (or down-right lied about) Schneier's statement to make it the exact
>>> *opposite* of what he actually said.
>>>
>>> Now, if you want to make the argument that antivirus by itself is not
>>> enough security, you won't get any argument from me.  Security is far
>>> more comprehensive than just installing a piece of software and going
>>> on your merry way.
>>
>> Article's headline:
>>
>>                 "Schneier: Lots of Security Software Is 'snake Oil'"
>>
>> I wrote:
>>
>>                 "Schneier publicly calls it [AV software] "snake oil"
>>                 now"
>
> So out of all the stories you post excerpts from, this is the *one*
> where you just read the headline and nothing else?  And then don't
> provide any backup for your claim until you're already called for your
> "mistake"?  Forgive me if this doesn't ring true (especially when one
> considers all your past instances of lying, misleading statements).
>
>> Let it rest.
>
> I don't really think you're in a position to be making such demands.
>
>> You're being pedantic with the sole intention of mocking someone.
>
> First of all, it's not pedantic--look up the definition if you you don't
> understand why.  Second, I'm not "mocking" anyone.  I'm simply pointing
> out an inconsistency between what you claim Schneier said, and what
> Schneier *actually* said.
>
> The fact is, that even in your post, you don't even give a mea culpa.
> In fact, all you have done is attempt to justify your comment and try to
> place blame on someone else.  Sorry, Roy, they're *your* words and *you*
> need to own up to them.

This was not intentional. This isn't a journal and I hardly even proofread, so
accuracy or pertinent things like quote+context+semantics+ambiguity is hard.
This is SUENET. It's a P2P forum... not a newspapers, not a book, not a
journal. I'm more careful when I write elsewhere.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |  INQredible Hacktivism