[News] Project Might Bring Free Software to Trading Systems

Marketcetera Targets Buy-Side with New Open Source Algo Trading Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Similar to the way the Linux operating system was developed by a community of
| software programmers, Marketcetera is drawing upon the methods of open source
| development to create a framework for building automated trading systems.
`----

http://www.advancedtrading.com/tradingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207801096&cid=RSSfeed_AdTrade_News

The bottom level of the stack (Red Hat GNU/Linux) is already free software, but
not the rest.

Days ago:

The Big Board Goes Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The largest stock exchange on Earth is a Linux shop.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3747076/The+Big+Board+Goes+Linux.htm

Report: Red Hat, SAS among top tech companies

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat and SAS are two of the 30 most influential technology companies in
| the world, according to a report released Tuesday by the Aberdeen Group.
`----

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2008/05/12/daily14.html

Related:

Vendor Value: CIOs Rate the Leading Tech Providers

,----[ Quote ]
| This year's No. 1 vendor: open source software vendor Red Hat, which earned a
| remarkable 97 percent loyalty rating.
`----

http://www.cioinsight.com/article2/0%2c1540%2c2217095%2c00.asp

[Hill Air Force Base Making] Order out of chaos

,----[ Quote ]
| Hill is using Red Hat Enterprise Linux Version 5, which has received Common
| Operating Environment certification from the Defense Information Systems
| Agency, meeting DISA requirements for interoperability, performance and
| standards. It also received certification through the Common Criteria
| Evaluation and Validation Scheme, a cooperative effort of the United States,
| Canada and Europe that’s spearheaded by the National Institute of Standards
| and Technology. CCEVS is “sort of a Good Housekeeping Seal of approval” that
| a product is secure, Smith said.
|
| Microsoft Windows just doesn’t have a good reputation when it has to scale to
| an enterprise application that requires high levels of security, Smith said.
`----

http://www.gcn.com/print/26_16/44607-1.html

Red Hat Named #1 IT Vendor To Do Business With By Customers In Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| Conducted in April 2007, Nikkei Market Access' research surveyed nearly 800
| IT workers from major companies involved in info-com products throughout
| Japan regarding their views of service vendors and system integrators.
| Employees working in corporate information systems sections who maintain
| contact with the nominated vendors throughout the course of their duties were
| asked to respond regarding the products and services of the involved
| companies. The survey evaluated 44 nominated vendors chosen by respondents.
| The top three respective vendors include Red Hat Japan with 27.5 percent of

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070813/20070813005033.html?.v=1

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]

`----