[News] US Department of Homeland Security Pleased with Free Software's Improved Security

  • Subject: [News] US Department of Homeland Security Pleased with Free Software's Improved Security
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 09:02:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

DHS report: Open-source code "quality" is up

,----[ Quote ]
| A U.S. Department of Homeland Security-sponsored project has not only
| discovered that the quality of open source software code has improved
| significantly over the past two years, it has debunked a widely held
| assumption that longer function strings within source code are associated
| with an increased number of code defects.
`----

http://www.scmagazineus.com/DHS-report-Open-source-code-quality-is-up/article/110360/

Open source security improving rapidly

,----[ Quote ]
| The quality and security of open source software is improving rapidly,
| according to an in-depth analysis of over 250 popular applications including
| Linux and Apache.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2217059/open-source-security-improving

Homeland Security Helps Reduce Open Source Flaws

http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3747961/Homeland+Security+Helps+Reduce+Open+Source+Flaws.htm

The press release:

Open Source Software Continually Improving According to Research from
Coverity(TM) Joint Venture With U.S. Department of Homeland Security

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-20-2008/0004817173&EDATE=
http://tinyurl.com/5mlme4

Recent:

Study Says Linux More Secure

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 70 percent people surveyed said they found Red Hat Linux less
| vulnerable to security issues than Microsoft's operating system.
`----

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Study_Says_Linux_More_Secure/551-88850-580.html

Study: 70 percent say Red Hat more secure than Windows

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080425-study-70-percent-say-red-hat-more-secure-than-windows.html

Vista security credentials tarnished in malware survey

,----[ Quote ]
| "[Vista]has been hailed by Microsoft as the most secure version of Windows to
| date. However, recent research conducted with statistics from over 1.4
| million computers within the ThreatFire community has shown that Windows
| Vista is more susceptible to malware than the eight year old Windows 2000
| operating system, and only 37 per cent more secure than Windows XP," said
| Simon Clausen, chief exec at PC Tools.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/09/win_malware_survey/

Vista as Insecure as Windows 2000

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/145681/vista_as_insecure_as_windows_2000.html

Related:

Why Linux is More Secure Than Windows

,----[ Gist ]
| Much better patch management tools...
|
| Much stronger default configuration...
|
| Modular Design...
|
| Better tools to protect against zero-day attacks...
|
| Open Source Architecture...
|
| Diverse Environment...
`----

http://freewebsoftwarereviews.blogspot.com/2007/12/why-linux-is-more-secure-than-windows.html

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

The problems with Vista laid bare - What might have been

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

The Structural Failures of Windows