[News] Why GNU/Linux is Simpler, Thinner, Less Fragmented Than Windows

Why do Windows programs suck so freaking much? (and what can they learn from
Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| Look, I'm sorry, but it has to be said. Open Task Manager on any Windows
| computer and chances are there are a hundred processes even if you're just
| sitting idly on the desktop. What's with the obsession to constantly make
| crap run on startup? Let's look at some common offenders and how to cut them
| down to size.
|
| [...]
|
| Consider the best update system for any operating system around – the one
| used by Linux. Yes, here’s my Linux blast: almost every single application
| for Linux can be updated using the one and the same package management tool.
| This includes the core kernel updates themselves through to the most obscure
| and tiniest of applications.
|
| There is no need for a gazillion software updaters by different vendors which
| all work in different ways, at different times. Instead, the Linux
| repositories allow you to keep every piece of code on your system up-to-date
| with the one single action. It’s clean, it’s understandable and it’s
| consistent.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/21991/1143/

Recent:

Mandriva 2008.1 Package Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva Spring 2008.1 is no doubt a great distribution. It has good
| collection of default software, has excellent hardware detection, has
| proprietary drivers and software and an overall great out of box experience.
|
| People, including me, often complain about its Package manager. With 2008.1,
| Mandriva has greatly improved RPMDrake. Its fast, has good number of packages
| and beautifully handles dependencies.
| Lets have a little detailed look.
`----

http://www.lazytechguy.com/2008/04/mandriva-20081-package-manager.html

Utter Crap?: Matt Asay and The Linux Desktop Q&A (and Video)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2008/03/01/utter-crap-matt-asay-and-the-linux-desktop-qa-and-video/