[News] [Rival] Worm Storm on the Web Bites Microsoft Windows

Vulnerable Windows Machines Sitting Ducks for the Conficker Worm

,----[ Quote ]
| First Microsoft, and now McAfee is warning Windows users to expedite the
| process of applying a patch for a Critical vulnerability in Server Service
| affecting both client and server versions of the operating system.
|
| According to the Redmond company, all supported platforms are vulnerable,
| including Windows 2000, Windows XP (even SP3), Windows Vista RTM/SP1, Windows
| Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7. McAfee has indicated that
| users not deploying the patch are vulnerable, while Microsoft has already
| informed that it had detected active attacks and infections in the wild,
| following a period when exploits were just targeted.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Vulnerable-Windows-Machines-Sitting-Ducks-for-the-Conficker-Worm-98832.shtml

SMBs Beware: Spam Levels on the Rise

,----[ Quote ]
| The fight against spam rages on after a spike in spam levels following the
| shut-down of hosting service McColo. SMBs are particularly vulnerable to
| malware and spam; ensuring secure, spam-free email should be a prominent
| security interest.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Midmarket/SMBs-Beware-Spam-Levels-on-the-Rise/?kc=rss

Windows worm infection accelerates

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is currently observing an increase in the spread of a new Windows
| worm that exploits the known vulnerability in the RPC functions of the Server
| service to penetrate systems. The infection rate of Conficker.A worm is
| reported to be accelerating over company networks in particular. The
| Microsoft Malware Protection Center says most reports are coming from the
| USA, but customers in Europe, Asia and South America too are affected, and
| reports have also been received from several hundred home users.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/119619

Recent:

Bots rule in cyberspace