[News] Silicon Graphics Boxes Reborn with Free Software

Breathing new life into those old Silicon Graphics machines

,----[ Quote ]
| With IRIX officially dead, the Open Source community is the only place any
| sort of IRIX-related development is happening. The crew over at Nekochan have
| developed Nekoware, an entire distribution of Open Source apps ported to
| IRIX, tuned and optimised for MIPS.
`----

http://www.siliconbunny.com/breathing-new-life-into-those-old-silicon-graphics-machines/

They have moved to GNU/Linux only.

Recent:

SGI Platforms Running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.1 Clear IT Security Hurdle

| Passing the evaluation, which was performed by atsec, means that SGI Altix
| systems received Common Criteria Security Certification EAL 4+ from the
| National Information Assurance Partnership (NIAP), a U.S. Government
| initiative developed to meet the security testing needs of both IT consumers
| and producers.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/sgi-platforms-running-red-hat/story.aspx?guid=%7B108915CC-DE72-4777-B11C-B74B984E20C9%7D&dist=hppr

SGI Pushes Into Data Warehousing with Linux Supers and Oracle

,----[ Quote ]
| Specifically, SGI is partnering with database maker Oracle to create data
| warehouses that run on its Linux-based Altix supercomputers. The solution
| that the two companies have come up with is called the Adaptive Data
| Warehouse, and it combines Altix servers, SGI's InfiniteStorage disk arrays,
| and the Oracle database with the Real Application Clusters (RAC) clustered
| database extensions.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb061708-story07.html

SGI slots 'Seaburg' chipset into blades

,----[ Quote ]
| Altix ICE blades now include SGI ProPack for Linux, which gives granular
| control over throughput and I/O performance. The blades also include an
| updated version of SGI's Tempo cluster management tool. Tempo lets admins
| restrict traffic within the rack or within the blades themselves to keep
| extraneous traffic off the network.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/21/sgi_does_seaburg_chips/

Related:

SGI: Still Alive And Kicking

,----[ Quote ]
| Changing times. IRIX and MIPS, the company's proprietary Unix and
| semiconductors, respectively, fell out of favor as the industry shifted to
| x86 and Linux.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3718911

Born-Again SGI Spreads Its Wings

,----[ Quote ]
| Another key aspect of their strategy in this market is the company's
| Industrial Strength Linux Environment (ISLE) initiative, aimed at creating a
| software environment that meets the expectations of high performance business
| computing customers.
`----

http://www.hpcwire.com/hpc/1889130.html

SGI Launches Blade-Style Altix Linux Supers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb062607-story02.html