[News] Linux and GNU Used in Huge Numbers

A future so bright Tux needs shades

,----[ Quote ]
| “Everyone uses Linux. It’s in the TV, it’s in your TiVo, it’s in all the
| settop boxes, it’s in your Sony camera. Make a trade on the NYSE and it’s
| there, search on Google and it’s Linux. Linux owns 85% of the supercomputer
| market. I’ve seen Linux in a milking machine.”
|
| If Linux were a corporate effort its CEO would be into champagne wishes and
| caviar dreams. As it is, however, Zemlin is just looking for steady growth
| next year.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3126

Numbers, Downloads and Straws

,----[ Quote ]
| If we take the Fedora numbers, divide them by two and do the same with the
| numbers of Ubuntu, that would give us an impressive number for “an operating
| system for hobbyists”. But what we should not forget in that count is the
| other distributions. Take for granted that today I will not bug you with the
| ones that are in the southern section of the Distrowatch rankings. But what
| about OpenSuse, Mint, Mandriva? Let’s put them at one million each and ignore
| the rest of the candidates. Together with Ubuntu and Fedora, this estimate
| that I would qualify as conservative (when should I stop cutting and dividing
| those numbers to sound serious?) makes GNU/Linux not the distant third, but
| the second most used operating systems behind the Windows family. Remember me
| when you’ll read the next analyst report stating the immaturity of Linux on
| the desktop. These numbers make sense, and we should think about them. They
| mean something is happening, and it does so by flying under the radar. All
| the more interesting to watch, I guess.
|
| Don’t open up the champagne, folks; this is just the beginning….
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2008/11/26/numbers-downloads-and-straws/

Recent:

Red Hat Fedora Claims It's the Leader in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3786726/Red+Hat+Fedora+Claims+Its+the+Leader+in+Linux.htm