[News] Apple Sued for Infringing on 'Intellectual' Monopoly

Apple Sued For Patent Infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has been named in a patent infringement lawsuit by EMG Technology who
| alleges that the iPhone infringes on a patent that enables the device to
| browse the Web.
|
| [...]
|
| An attorney for EMG, Stanley Gibson said U.S. Patent No. 7,441,196 is one of
| five patents for navigating the Internet on mobile devices and Internet
| Protocol Television. (IPTV)
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/11/24/apple-sued-for-patent-infringement

Apple Sued Over iPhone Browser

,----[ Quote ]
| EMG Technology is a company that holds the patents of Elliot Gottfurcht, the
| real estate developer, as well as Marlo Longstreet and Grant Gottfurcht. The
| company claims that the iPhone infringes on patent 7, 441, 196- a patent that
| was approved only last month, after a filing process that began on March 13,
| 2006.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/154491/apple_iphone_lawsuit.html?tk=rss_news

Apple Slapped With Patent Suit Over iPhone’s Browser

,----[ Quote ]
| The name of the patent is “Apparatus and method of manipulating a region on a
| wireless device screen for viewing, zooming and scrolling internet content.”
| It was filed on March 13, 2006.
`----

http://www.ajax-blog.com/apple-slapped-with-patent-suit-over-iphone%E2%80%99s-browser.html

More 'fun' with 'Intellectual' Monopolies:

Patent disputes about chip technologies

,----[ Quote ]
| Although there are few official press releases available, it seems that
| numerous well-known chip manufacturers are arguing about patents apparently
| involving tungsten metallisation processes.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/119403

Recent:

Apple's Success Brings More Patent Lawsuits

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/mac/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207402599

| Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that patch illegal because Apple
| has an patent on this effect? Confused At least its illegal in the US,
| not in Europe (afaik we don't have software patents yet).
`----

http://forum.compiz.org/viewtopic.php?p=7365#7365

Apple sued over iPhone caller ID

,----[ Quote ]
| Figa's patent, describes an "an automatic incoming telephone call number
| display system for detecting an incoming call and identifying the party
| associated with the incoming call number".
|
| Like the iPhone, the system "includes a directory of telephone numbers and
| parties associated with those numbers," and it's equipped with "circuitry
| detects the origin telephone number of an incoming telephone call and
| compares that number with numbers in the directory for identifying the
| calling party."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/01/apple_sued_over_iphone_callerid/

Apple sued for visual voicemail patent infringement - again

,----[ Quote ]
| It is the second time Klausner has had a bash at the suit, after it updated
| its original complaint from December. The outfit claims both Apple and AT&T
| infringed its patent of a “Telephone Answering Device Linking Displayed Data
| with Recorded Audio Message”.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/21/apple-sued-patent-infringement

KDE king Seigo talks life, free software and reinventing the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple doesn't get the open source development model and has a very control
| oriented corporate culture and that doesn't mesh very well with an open,
| collaborative environment. Apple is getting better at it, or at least parts
| of Apple are getting it. I hope to look at it in five years and say this was
| growing pains for Apple to get where it is.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;885892575;pp;1

Apple failing to understand open source

,----[ Quote ]
| There is a cost for not being a good Open Source citizen and that
| cost is loss of goodwill in the community. That loss is more
| expensive in the long run than Apple realizes.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/03/apple_failing_to_understand_op.html

Mozilla exec calls Apple's Safari plan 'duopolistic'

,----[ Quote ]
| In the speech predicting how Apple would expand its market share, Jobs showed
| a slide with Safari dominating almost a quarter of the market--a market
| shared only with a single other browser, Internet Explorer.
|
| Lilly says he doesn't believe that this was an omission or simplification,
| but instead an indication that Jobs is hoping to steal people who use Firefox
| and other smaller browsers in order to run a "duopoly" with Redmond.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6191562.html

Researcher Blasts Apple for 'Negligent' Patching

,----[ Quote ]
| A researcher who went public last month with the first iPhone vulnerability
| says Apple's updating of the open-source components it uses in Mac OS X is
| inexcusable and negligent.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135589-c,macos/article.html

Wozniak hates Open Sauce