[News] IBM and Cisco Adopt Selfish Approach to Fighting Patent Trolls, Embrace Trolls

  • Subject: [News] IBM and Cisco Adopt Selfish Approach to Fighting Patent Trolls, Embrace Trolls
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:43:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Looking to fend off patent trolls, IBM, Cisco support startup RPX

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, two former executives of Myhrvold's Bellevue patent licensing firm are
| striking out on their own with support from IBM and Cisco to serve as a
| counterweight to patent holding firms like Intellectual Ventures. Today, RPX
| Corp. is launching what it dubs "defensive patent aggregation" -- a
| membership club of sorts where large and small technology companies pool
| capital in order to order to protect themselves from patent litigation.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/IBM_Cisco_support_RPX_in_defensive_patents34959854.html

The Community patent seems to be dying in the EU, which is good.

Judges condemn Europe's stalled progress on Community patent and court

,----[ Quote ]
| Delegates at the Fourth European Judges’ Forum, which has recently ended in
| Venice, have issued a statement deploring the apparent slowdown in
| negotiations over the creation of a Community patent and a single European
| patent jurisdiction.
`----

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=a9de4d94-e0f8-445c-874d-07f7984b8f90

Recent:

Bill Gates, top Microsoft executives do some of their inventing on the side

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates and several of Microsoft’s top technologists are credited as
| inventors in eight newly disclosed U.S. patent applications. That isn’t a
| surprise. But here’s where it starts to get unusual: The applications weren’t
| made on Microsoft’s behalf.|
| [...]
|
| Here's what we know: An entity called Searete LLC applied for the patents.
| Searete is part of Intellectual Ventures LLC, the Bellevue-based invention
| house run by Nathan Myhrvold, Microsoft’s former chief technology officer.
| Myhrvold’s company has stirred controversy with its large patent hoard.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Gates_top_Microsoft_executives_do_some_inventing_on_the_side34192179.html

Top Microsoft Execs Moonlighting For a Patent Bully

,----[ Quote ]
| "TechFlash reports that Microsoft bigwigs like Craig Mundie and Bill Gates
| (when he still worked there) have been secretly moonlighting at Intellectual
| Ventures (IV), the 'patent extortion fund' run by Bill's pal Nathan Myhrvold.
| A Microsoft spokesman confirmed that its technologists have been sitting in
| on IV-sponsored 'innovation sessions,' where their pearls of wisdom were
| captured and turned into patent applications for Searete, an IV shadow
| corporate entity. And if all goes well, Searete will soon enjoy exclusive
| rights to the fruit of the brainstorming, which includes processes ranging
| from determining and rewarding 'influencers' to treating malaria, HIV, TB,
| hepatitis, smallpox, and cancer."
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/11/11/211259

Microsoft fueling Intellectual Ventures, OpenOffice, and other conspiracy
theories

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10094807-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad