[News] Why Governments Must Adopt Free Software and Schools Avoid Proprietary Software

  • Subject: [News] Why Governments Must Adopt Free Software and Schools Avoid Proprietary Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 02:06:55 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

In A Tighter Economy, Why Not Open Source In All Government Offices?

,----[ Quote ]
| Later, after my response online, I was thinking that with the economy being
| what it is, and Microsoft product warranties being what they are, all
| governmental agencies should be using open source software. Now, I’ll stop
| short of advocating a change to Linux, that would be too drastic, as the
| public has not had enough exposure to that operating system.  But
| applications? Oh yes, enthusiastically yes!
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/theoracle/2008/11/23/in-a-tighter-economy-why-not-open-source-in-all-government-offices/

Attention Schools: Beware of Infinite Campus

,----[ Quote ]
| My school uses a SIS program called Infinite Campus.  The SIS (Student
| Information System) is the backbone for any school.  It manages everything
| from grades to lunch money, from registration to lesson plans, and everything
| in between.  If you use, are employed by, and/or have high regards for the
| Infinite Campus company, I strongly advise that you not to read this post, as
| it may smash your high-held opinions about this fraud into little tiny
| shards.
|
| [...]
|
| They claim their mission statement is “Transforming K12 Education™”.  I
| believe I have already explained enough to show why this is the stupidest
| statement any proprietary software company can make.  How can anyone
| transform something if they can’t access it?  Could have anyone improved upon
| the Model-T automobile if Ford had only made a few of them, and then offered
| rides to people when it was practical for him?  In the same way, can anyone
| improve software if the malevolent company that “owns” the software forces
| that person to treat its use as a privilege?
`----

http://trombonechamp.wordpress.com/2008/11/23/beware-of-infinite-campus/

Recent:

Education IT chiefs debate open source