[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Chosen for Savings

Laptops for less: How I saved big on a computer the Ubuntu way

,----[ Quote ]
| I live in Portland, Oregon, where open source is not just the favored
| software methodology but a way of life. Yet despite my buddies sporting their
| Linux user group laptop stickers, I was desperately afraid. It sounded hard.
| It sounded geeky.
|
| Then I needed a new laptop. I was going freelance and sending my corporate
| laptop back to the mothership. The refurbished Dell Latitude I bought was
| only $245 but came without an operating system. My geeky friends suggested
| Ubuntu -- the free operating system Linux users consider a beginner's option.
| I'd save a few hundred dollars on Microsoft Vista and the Office suite; and I
| didn't have the extra money so it was really my only option. That or spend a
| lot of time at the public library.
`----

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2008/11/23/laptops-for-less-how-i-saved-big-on-a-computer-the-ubuntu-way/

Recent:

Ubuntu 9.04 “Jaunty Jackalope” Mock-up Designs

,----[ Quote ]
| The next Ubuntu release codenamed "Jaunty Jackalope" won't arrive until April
| of next year, but some people are already creating mock-ups of its desktop
| theme. Though there is no plan of a theme redesign for this next version, I
| know some of you, especially those who are disappointed with the Intrepid
| Ibex theme, are still hoping to see a completely refurbished Ubuntu look.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/11/ubuntu-904-jaunty-jackalope-mock-up.html

10 Beautiful Themes for Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex

,----[ Quote ]
| The upcoming release of Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) is highly anticipated not
| only for the system enhancements it will likely get, but also for its new
| default theme. The visual refresh is a long time coming, so I expect the
| Ubuntu artwork team is cooking something good for all of us.
|
| The October release date of Ubuntu 8.10 is fast approaching, yet until now,
| we don’t know exactly what the finished product will look like. I don’t want
| to make any guesses, instead, I decided to collect 10 beautiful existing GTK
| 2.x themes that I think can be further improved or altered and be used as the
| default desktop theme for Intrepid Ibex. Enjoy!
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/08/10-beautiful-themes-for-ubuntu-intrepid.html

10 Most Beautiful Plasma Themes for KDE 4 Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest series of the K Desktop Environment now utilizes Plasma, a new
| desktop and panel user interface tool that aims for a more functional,
| user-friendly, and sleek KDE desktop. Plasma also supports Dashboard-like
| widgets called plasmoids.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/08/10-most-beautiful-plasma-themes-for-kde.html

20 beautiful dark themes for Gnome and Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Some weeks ago, I shown you a list of 30 themes for enhancing your Gnome
| desktop. Many readers loved the dark themes from this list, so here’s a new
| list of 20 dark and absolutely beautiful themes for your Gnome desktop.
`----

http://www.catswhocode.com/blog/featured/20-beautiful-dark-themes-for-gnome-and-ubuntu-418

4 Linux Distros Which Look Like Mac OS X

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.internetling.com/2008/08/18/4-linux-distros-which-look-like-mac-os-x/