[News] Open University Poisoned by the 'Microsoft Cult'

Open University appoints Microsoft boss

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open University has appointed a Microsoft boss to be its fifth
| vice-chancellor.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2008/nov/20/open-university-microsoft

"Open University" Becomes "Closed University"

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, the first thing Mr Bean will have to do is change the name: we
| can't have any of that stinky "openness" around, can we?
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/11/open-university-becomes-closed.html

Recent:

University challenged to ditch Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The OU provides students with technical support, but only if they use
| Microsoft software. It advises students that if they don't use a Windows PC
| they "may have problems accessing the software and data files supplied with
| course materials". It has produced a 31-page guide to using Microsoft
| software and extensive demonstrations. It has produced upgrade advice for
| Microsoft's Vista operating system and even gone as far as promoting a
| Microsoft discount offer to its students.
|
| The OU does distribute copies of the Open Source Star Office to all students,
| but that endorsement pales in comparison to its backing of Microsoft. It has
| given no such advice, support or endorsement of Ubuntu, the free operating
| system lauded as the Open Source movement's viable alternative to Windows.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/11/university-challenged-ditch

Related:

University of Regina offers open source course

,----[ Quote ]
| In recent years, software giants like Microsoft have found open source
| software like Linux and Firefox nipping at their heels.
|
| Open source software is typically available for free and is set up so
| that programmers around the world can tinker with the code and make
| improvements.
|
| [...]
|
| Now, the University of Regina has joined the fray, launching its
| first senior-level course in open source software development.
`----

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/02012007/3/canada-u-r-offers-open-source-course.html

Letter from IT Personnel at Purdue University: No Upgrades to Vista, Office
2007, or even IE7

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computers.net/2007/01/letter_from_it_.html