[News] Red Hat Talks About SaaS, Biggest 'Competitor' is Customers

Red Hat's Brian Stevens Explores the Evolution of the Cloud at 1st
International Cloud Computing Conference & Expo

,----[ Quote ]
| He discussed the evolution of the cloud, and how to build a cloud and how
| important data reliability is.
`----

http://uk.sys-con.com/node/756479/print

An Open Source Vendor's Biggest Competitor: Its Customers?

,----[ Quote ]
| When my colleague Charles Babcock spoke to Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst, one
| sentence that fairly leapt out at me was "[Red Hat's] biggest competitor is
| simply people who stop buying subscriptions." So where do they go from there?
|
| First, some context. The above statement appeared in a paragraph about the
| value of software subscriptions as Red Hat's major revenue stream. Obviously
| there are any number of reasons why people would stop buying Red Hat
| subscriptions, with them finding another product line being one of the
| biggest  Another would be that they've reached a comfortable plateau of
| functionality for the time being and don't see a pressing need to throw more
| money at stuff that simply goes unused.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/11/an_open_source_2.html

Recent:

Red Hat CEO Whitehurst Talks About Slowdown, Virtualization, Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| In an exclusive interview, Red Hat's Jim Whitehurst opens up about the open
| source software firm's short-term prospects in troubled times and longer-term
| opportunities for growth.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/management/interviews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212100578&subSection=Development

Red Hat Satellite launches first community upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| Raleigh, N.C.-based Red Hat Inc. has released a minor update to the Red Hat
| Network (RHN) Satellite a subscription-based systems management application
| that provisions, configures and updates large groups of servers and runs on
| the corporate network.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1339414,00.html

Red Hat: Crisis to boost open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The global economic crisis would provide a boost for open source software,
| Red Hat chief executive Jim Whitehurst claimed during a visit to Sydney this
| week.
|
| Whitehurst, who stopped over down under as part of a tour of the Asia-Pacific
| region, said in an interview with ZDNet Asia's sister site ZDNet Australia
| that the crisis would cause companies to consolidate their technology
| infrastructure and reduce spending.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62047208,00.htm

No Recession at Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| It is flattering to be mentioned, Mr. Whitehurst said, but he noted that
| corporate customers and the industry benefit from what he called Red
| Hat’s “Switzerland status” — not being a province of one of the major powers
| in the technology industry.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/no-recession-at-red-hat/

Microsoft sees slide in profits

Red Hat Exchange Doubles Quarterly Bookings, Boosts Zimbra and MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/10/17/red-hat-exchange-doubles-quarterly-bookings-boosts-zimbra-and-mysql/