[News] Ermine Packer Simplifies GNU/Linux Management

Ermine Packer 2.1.0: GNU/Linux software deployment made easy

,----[ Quote ]
| Ermine, the commercial alternative to the popular Statifier package makes it
| easy to create executables that will run on nearly any GNU/Linux system. This
| new major release vastly simplifies the packing of multiple binaries into one
| executable that is independent from the target system's libraries.
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/11017.html

Recent:

Package management

,----[ Quote ]
| Those are some of the package managers out there. I hope you can see the
| differences between them after reading this. The early package managers were
| collections of simple install, remove and update routines. While APT was
| eventually developed to be very feature-rich, third-party package managers
| for Slackware Linux are mostly simple programs that add dependency resolution
| and one or two other features. RPM was an evolution of the package manager
| closer to a complete package management system. It added features like
| dependency checking, tracking, automatic installation and checksum
| verification.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080630#feature

Do we really need another packaging system?

,----[ Quote ]
| The reality of the situation is that the differences between distros gives
| people a chance to innovate more with how a Linux system works. Trying to
| funnel everything down through some common layer at the bottom really reduces
| the chances for big innovation to happen.
`----

http://loupgaroublond.blogspot.com/2008/06/do-we-really-need-another-packaging.html
http://tinyurl.com/5rkf8h

Related: