[News] European Interoperability Framework Can Be Deluged by Monopolies

53 answers to the revision of the European Interoperability Framework (EIF)

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission has published on its website the list of stakeholders who
| contributed to the European Interoperability Framework (EIF) consultation.
| Even if the European Interoperability Framework is mostly directed to provide
| open standards to be used by governments when they communicate with citizens,
| it can be expected that some large industry players wants to put their
| patents and restrictions on how citizens can communicate with their
| governments.
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-106014/53-answers-to-the-revision-of-the-european-interoperability-framework-eif

UK set to sidestep US patent affecting print management

,----[ Quote ]
| US print procurement company e-Lynxx has been awarded a patent covering
| competitive tendering of a specified item on an electronic platform, such as
| print management.
|
| The company plans to licence the business method to users.
|
| William Gindlesperger, patent inventor and chief executive of e-Lynxx,
| said: "Every organisation with an electronic procurement system... that
| follows the steps outlined in this new patent, will need a licence to use the
| patented methodology."
|
| However, the UK patent office said that merely transferring a process that
| already existed to an electronic platform was unlikely to result in an
| enforceable patent.
`----

http://www.printweek.com/news/862659/UK-set-sidestep-US-patent-affecting-print-management/

“Staff at the European Patent Office went on strike accusing the organization
of corruption: specifically, stretching the standards for patents in order to
make more money.”

“One of the ways that the EPO has done this is by issuing software patents in
defiance of the treaty that set it up.”

                                                --Richard Stallman

Recent:

Chocolate coins for EPO cash cow

,----[ Quote ]
| Examiners of the European Patent Office have recently invaded one of the
| secret meetings of the Administrative Council with chocolate coins, pointing
| to the conflict of interests between the National Patent Offices (NPOs) and
| their appetite of "more patents, more money".
`----

http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/forum/t-105735/chocolate-coins-for-epo-corruption

The Economic Impact of Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK's Patent Office – which now goes by the awful name of UK Intellectual
| Property Office, which means it's really the UK Intellectual Monopolies
| Office – is a curious beast. On the one hand, as its name suggests, it's tied
| into one of the biggest confidence tricks around, dressing up conceptual
| mutton as intellectual lamb. On the other, there are odd outbreaks of sanity
| that suggest someone in there understands some of the deeper issues
| concerning software patents.
|
| [...]
|
| It's not coincidence that Microsoft still maintains that GNU/Linux infringes
| on some 200 of its sacred software patents – and yet is strangely coy about
| naming them, since it doesn't want its bluff called.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1492&blogid=14

IP advisers agree U.S. patent office needs reform

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2008/09/08/story4.html?b=1220846400^1694886