[News] Intellectual Monopolies Ruin Telephony

Calypso Wireless sues T-Mobile USA for patent Infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| Calypso says it owns a patent on Automatic Switching of Network Access
| Points, technology, which helps carriers achieve more efficient allocation of
| resources by freeing more wide area cellular spectrum space for voice, video
| and data, and increasing overall bandwidth available to other users.
`----

http://www.mobilemonday.net/news/calypso-wireless-sues-t-mobile-usa-for-patent-infringement

OpenMoko Faces MP3 Patent Dispute

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux-based phone, OpenMoko is currently in a patent dispute with Sisvel,
| as known as Società Italiana per lo Sviluppo dell'Elettronica. Sisvel is
| Italian patent holding firm well known for its aggressive enforcement of MPEG
| patents. Sisvel is also currently in a dispute with SanDisk.
`----

http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/11/OpenMoko-MPEG

It's the lowlife Philips that attacks here.

Recent:

RESEND(Wrong Thread): IMAGE/MP3 licensing issue.

,----[ Quote ]
| The short story is that we are in a protracted battle with some patent
| trolls. Google for Sisvel.
| In order to get ourselves in a stronger position, we want to make sure
| no copies/instances/whatever of patent-infested technologies like MP2
| and MP3 exist on our servers.
`----

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openmoko.community/30348

Openmoko se topa con las patentes

http://softlibre.barrapunto.com/softlibre/08/11/12/1853200.shtml

Philips could be in the firing line after Sisvel's Berlin patent raids

,----[ Quote ]
| Electronics giant Philips is being threatened with legal action following
| raids at a major German trade fair sparked by Sisvel, the Italian licensing
| company. Sisvel. which administers patents related to MP3 technology on
| behalf of a number of companies including Philips, asked German customs
| authorities to take action against a group of exhibitors at the fair,
| claiming that products they had on show were infringing.
`----

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=5523983a-dfa1-4300-9387-817edba3e325

Taiwanese firm to sue over armed raid at IFA

,----[ Quote ]
| A Taiwanese firm is taking legal action over damage to its reputation after
| an Italian patent troll representing Philips prompted the raid of a Berlin
| consumer electronics show last month.
|
| Teco was among 69 companies targeted by some 200 armed German custom officers
| during the IFA trade fair in Berlin. The raid was done at the request of
| Sisvel, which administers MP3 and DVD technology patents on behalf of
| Philips. Sisvel had complained that exhibitors at IFA may be infringing on
| patents owned by its client.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/09/08/teco_sues_over_ifa_raid/

Related:

Berlin Court condemns Sisvel's IFA seizures as "illegal"

,----[ Quote ]
| Today Sisvel, Europe's very own "patent troll", was given a serious blow by a
| Berlin Court. Sisvel convinced German public prosecutors to provide some
| helping hands in pressing companies in the mp3 audio field to take licenses
| under patents, owned by Philips and other companies.
`----

http://ipgeek.blogspot.com/2006/09/berlin-court-judges-sisvels-ifa.html

German Customs cracks down at IFA

,----[ Quote ]