[News] Free Software More Sustainable Than Proprietary, Relies on Communities

Open Source and Sustainability, Updated

,----[ Quote ]
| More so than ever, it seems that merely beating the competition today, or
| satisfying the customer today, is just the wrong way of looking at the
| problem. Look at the ruins of a US economy based on writing profitable but
| questionable mortgages, or building impressive but inefficient automobiles.
| We need to think longer-term. We need to ask the question "if I win the game
| for the next 20 quarters (five years), will I still be alive to play the
| 21st?". This seems to be the question that too many in Corporate America and
| elsewhere have conveniently ignored or neglected to ask. Now millions of
| investors and millions of taxpayers are all paying a heavy price.
`----

http://opensource.org/node/377

And when the company that vends the software goes bankrupt, good luck escaping
lock-in or sticking with the same unmaintainable, unpatchable software.

Rule #2: Create a community

,----[ Quote ]
| Creating the right atmosphere of productive leisure may be a challenge for
| some projects, but it will be worth it. So spend some time to understand who
| you’re trying to serve with your project and also who’s likely to be in a
| position to contribute. Make it as easy as possible for them to do so.
|
| As we push the envelope on what free development and commons based peer
| production can accomplish, we will need to pay closer attention to how
| communities are created and maintained. We will also need to adapt our
| techniques to suit a broader audience of potential contributors.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/books/mihrfc/rule_2_create_a_community

Recent:

Open Source Software and Africa