[News] OLPC XOs Run GNU/Linux and Sold on Amazon Globally

Amazon to sell OLPC's XO laptop starting Nov. 17

,----[ Quote ]
| Only Linux-based XO laptops will be available through Amazon, said Jim
| Gettys, vice president of software engineering at OLPC. A Windows version
| will not be sold.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9119862&source=rss_topic122

Breaking News: G1G1 coming to Europe Nov. 17

http://www.olpcnews.com/sales_talk/g1g1v2/breaking_news_g1g1_coming_to_europe_nov_17.html

Recent:

Laptop plan is not child's play just yet

,----[ Quote ]
| But worse than its origins were the criticism of the software itself.
| Negroponte had opted for Linux and an entirely new user interface called
| Sugar (the rumours said that he had turned down an offer by Steve Jobs of
| free-to-ship version of MacOS).
`----

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2008/1017/1224108318538.html

OLPC Releases Fedora-Based Linux Distribution for the XO Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| The OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) developers announced today a new release of
| their XO Software, a Fedora-based Linux distribution designed for the XO
| laptop. The new version is based on the popular Sugar graphical interface,
| Fedora 9 operating system, and includes some core software customizations for
| wireless drivers, Open Firmware, power management, and the NAND flash
| filesystem. Among the new features in XO Software 8.2.0, we can notice some
| usability and GUI (graphical user interface) improvements, backup and restore
| functions, new and updated languages, automatic updates and longer battery
| life.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/OLPC-Releases-Fedora-based-Linux-Distribution-for-the-XO-Laptop-95858.shtml

Related:

Laptop-Project Founder Faults Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| Oscar Becerra Tresierra, general director for educational technology at
| Peru's Ministry of Education, says that after the country recently agreed to
| buy 272,500 OLPC laptops for primary-school students, an Intel sales
| representative tried "to scare us" by claiming the machines and their power
| adapters didn't work. "I don't feel very happy about it," he said. "We
| wouldn't like the project to fail because somebody is spreading gossip about
| the machines that doesn't turn out to be true."
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119948070480568405.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Laptop Project Blames Intel for Breakup

,----[ Quote ]
| Negroponte said Intel even tried to undo a deal One Laptop had already sealed
| in Peru by citing flaws in the One Laptop "XO" machine and telling government
| ministers "we ought to know, because we are on the board." Such hostile
| comments were prohibited, Negroponte claimed, under the July peace treaty
| that brought Intel into the One Laptop Per Child camp.
|
| "I want to say we tried, but it was never a partnership," Negroponte
| said. "There's not one single thing in their contract or agreement that they
| lived up to."
`----

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hXa0O9XLMsWfaqt-sI9FqFy2IewgD8TVAD7OA

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

Poor Kids' Laptop Cranks Up

,----[ Quote ]